multi/puzzle cache

I have an idea for a cache I would like to place, would like to get some of your opinions. It's kind of like a cross between a multi and a puzzle cache. My idea is to have the coordinates for stage one on gc.com. At stage one, there would be 2 or 3 sets of coordinates. Only one of those coordinates would get you to the correct second stage, the other(s) would take you to a container with a message like try again. Same type of deal for stage 2 and so on until you get to the final stage. What do you think, good idea for a cache? Also, would a cache like that be listed as multi or puzzle? Any suggestions?

I've encountered a few of those and they were listed as multi caches. I believe that was the correct choice in each instance.

I found them to be frustrating, but I count them among my favorite finds. A couple had some variation of your "try again" idea. A stake in the ground or a container with a card inside that said you chose wrong. At least one other had nothing at the bogus coordinates to tell you that you made the wrong choice. That one was particularly difficult because the cache owner chose bogus coordinates in areas that looked like very plausible spots for a hide.

For one variation, each choice of coordinates eventually got you to the cache, but if you chose "wisely" it was an easy walk along well maintained and marked trails. If you chose wrong, it was difficult terrain bushwack.

I also recall one that involved a riddle at each stage. Solve the riddle and you get the correct coordinates. If you are wrong you're sent on a wild goose chase. I think that starts to cross the line into a puzzle cache though.

Edited by briansnat

I have an idea for a cache I would like to place, would like to get some of your opinions. It's kind of like a cross between a multi and a puzzle cache. My idea is to have the coordinates for stage one on gc.com. At stage one, there would be 2 or 3 sets of coordinates. Only one of those coordinates would get you to the correct second stage, the other(s) would take you to a container with a message like try again. Same type of deal for stage 2 and so on until you get to the final stage. What do you think, good idea for a cache? Also, would a cache like that be listed as multi or puzzle? Any suggestions?

There is a cache similar to your idea in my area that is now temporarily shut down. I personally have not had a chance to check it out yet. It is based upon the show Deal or no Deal and the coords take you to a parking area. There are coords for 26 locations and 25 are dead ends with only one being the cache. It is all pure luck in which ones you choose in what particular order. This could take you either 20 minutes or 3 hours. Here is a link to Can you Make a Good Deal cache.