Add State to Notification Options

hallycat

I would like to have the ability to pick a state on my notifications like you can do for a PQ.

I live close to NJ as the crow flies but have no need to know of new caches published there.

30 miles is very deceiving when you have to pay for two bridges or tunnels to get there and go through a major metropolitan area. When I do go there which is few times a month I do a PQ for the area I am heading for.

No idea where my first post went, the server ate it I guess.

I live on Lake Erie, a long way from any crossing, and I use a point about 20 miles south of where I actually live. This is th eonly way to keep Canadian caches from coming up. They may be 50 miles away, but they are close to a 6 - 7 hour drive around the lake.

Hey, thanks for the workaround! Would be easier if they just added the states though :D

Will have to get out Google Earth and find a new spot to start from. Long Island isn't all that wide so have to be careful or you end up with CT too.

ETA: I can't find a spot even out in the ocean that gets me what I need on LI without getting NJ and CT too.

Will just have to deal with the emails of notifications I don't want (that is until they change it).

Edited by hallycat

I'm going to intentionally plant caches near, but perhaps a mile from the state line, and 'accidently' say it's the other state. According to other recent threads this will not get poo-poo'ed by the reviewers. And come to think of it, i have done at least 10 that were similar.

You can’t pick a state when setting up the notifications. But the state is included in the notification email and you can set a filter to automatically delete it.

The format is “Location: Virginia, United States”. Setting a filter to match those words might catch some other emails, but it seems pretty unlikely.

For Long Island, try using an 82 mile radius around N 40° 03.730 W 072° 27.176 and another one 18 miles centered around N 40° 38.783, W 073° 42.486.

That should cover all of Long Island, and not get Connecticut or New Jersey. Unfortunately, it will get Manhattan, the Bronx and a little of Westchester and it omits a tiny bit of Long Island by Beaver Lake.

For Long Island, try using an 82 mile radius around N 40° 03.730 W 072° 27.176 and another one 18 miles centered around N 40° 38.783, W 073° 42.486.

That should cover all of Long Island, and not get Connecticut or New Jersey. Unfortunately, it will get Manhattan, the Bronx and a little of Westchester and it omits a tiny bit of Long Island by Beaver Lake.

That works, thanks. Actually I do not mind having Manhattan the Bronx and Westchester in my default database, they are already there. The reason I was having a hard time is I wanted 50 miles from 11561 including them but not including CT and NJ and I was trying to do it with one set of coordinates. But I'll take those for now. It's more work to setup but it's set it and forget it on my end.

That works, thanks. Actually I do not mind having Manhattan the Bronx and Westchester in my default database, they are already there. The reason I was having a hard time is I wanted 50 miles from 11561 including them but not including CT and NJ and I was trying to do it with one set of coordinates. But I'll take those for now. It's more work to setup but it's set it and forget it on my end.

OK, well the farthest you can go is 50 miles. So unless the PTB sort it by states then I am just going to live with the Jersey caches that I get and delete them as they come in. I don't really want to filter them out right now.

If you're using them to populate a database, then Pocket Queries are much beter.

No, I have my PQ's all setup to run once weekly by date to keep my local database updated. This is for notifications of new caches, disabling and archiving. Hate to be looking for something that got disabled and

It's not a huge deal. It would just be a nice feature to have the State option and I don't think it would be all that hard to implement.