iPhone Battery Life

LinseyG

I'm currently musing getting an iPhone - I like the idea of having net access when moving around - especially like the idea of paperless caching -

The thing that concerns me is the battery life - particularly seeing as you can't just switch the battery over to a fresh one.

How do people find the battery - how long does it last with the GPS on ?

Cheers

Linsey

I'm currently musing getting an iPhone - I like the idea of having net access when moving around - especially like the idea of paperless caching -

The thing that concerns me is the battery life - particularly seeing as you can't just switch the battery over to a fresh one.

Cheers

Linsey

Cheers

Linsey

Well said! I agree 100%

Edited by nicolo

Cheers

Linsey

The battery is limited but if you travel by car between caches you can recharge on the trip. Also I recently found a battery pack from Sanyo with a model no. of KBC-L2. I got it at Costco for $34. Not sure what it is called on the package but it is a nice white plastic and looks very ipodish. I usually only find an average of three caches in a day. I'm not into the numbers.

You know you are about to get a load of replies all telling you that you need a real GPS!

I'm not going to get into that debate but I'll give you some tips for the Iphone:

Get a good case, you might drop it!

I don't really use the compass mode, not really that good. I use the Geocaching app so I always know what caches are nearby wherever I am.

I do use the map mode but in satelite view. Zoom all the way in and you should be able to see where it should be.

At least it works for me in California. I did try to use Google maps on a cache located in South Carolina and when I zoomed in it said there wasn't enough data to get that zoom level. So if you're in one of those areas than it won't work as well for you.

GPS or Iphone are only going to get you close and then you need to use the most important tool: your brain. So Good Luck and have fun!!

Cheers

Linsey

The battery is limited but if you travel by car between caches you can recharge on the trip. Also I recently found a battery pack from Sanyo with a model no. of KBC-L2. I got it at Costco for $34. Not sure what it is called on the package but it is a nice white plastic and looks very ipodish. I usually only find an average of three caches in a day. I'm not into the numbers.

You know you are about to get a load of replies all telling you that you need a real GPS!

I'm not going to get into that debate but I'll give you some tips for the Iphone:

Get a good case, you might drop it!

I don't really use the compass mode, not really that good. I use the Geocaching app so I always know what caches are nearby wherever I am.

I do use the map mode but in satelite view. Zoom all the way in and you should be able to see where it should be.

At least it works for me in California. I did try to use Google maps on a cache located in South Carolina and when I zoomed in it said there wasn't enough data to get that zoom level. So if you're in one of those areas than it won't work as well for you.

GPS or Iphone are only going to get you close and then you need to use the most important tool: your brain. So Good Luck and have fun!!

Well said! I agree 100% ... seriously!

Yes, I believe that the iPhone w/ geocaching app is good for a few caches a day. For the numbers people, a dedicated unit such as the Garmin Oregon is far better.

I also have a battery pack that I use for charging my iPhone 3G ( or any portable USB device ) in a pinch. I also use Textmarks via Coord.info to load up my Field Notes on geocaching.com for easy logging when I get home.

Edited by nicolo

Palm Pre. iPhone killer. Swappable battery. And it can cut-n-paste. :laughing:

But can it copy-n-paste?

Palm Pre. iPhone killer. Swappable battery. And it can cut-n-paste. :laughing:

But can it copy-n-paste?

It can do both, so I guess that makes it double awesome. :laughing:

I have an Iphone 3g but I live in an area that doesn't yet have 3g coverage. If I have a good Edge signal, net access isn't too bad. Not fast, but not horrible either. AT&T is "supposed" to be continually expanding their 3g coverage.

When using the geocaching app on the iphone you can view and navigate to all nearby caches without having to use the internet browser. It works good for me even when I've only got 2 or 3 bars on the Edge network.

I use my iphone in conjunction with my Colorado 400 and the iphone gets me reasonably close to caches. Not quite as close as the Colorado, but I would still be able to find them so far if I was only using the iphone.

The iphone is an awesome device period IMO. The fact that I can use it for Geocaching was just icing on the cake for me.