Garmin Oregon 300 or GPSMap60Cx

Jaffnut

Hi there. I'm currently trying to decide between the Garmin Oregon 300 and Map60Cx. I've read lots of info in the Groundspeak forums and other sites and still can't make up my mind. I'll be using the device for Geocaching, Hiking, and photography (to record routes and things of interest - eg individual fungi sites). From what I understand, the 60Cx is very popular, but being new I like the idea of being able to download all the relevant Geocache info including notes and tips to the one unit. The main thing I'm concerned about with the Oregon is the poor screen brightness and living in Australia where the sun shines more than not, this could be a big hassle. Your suggestions would be most welcome.

Its really hard to argue that the 60CSx is NOT the best overall Geocaching GPS made (to date).

However, the 60CSx does not really do paperless Geocaching ( you can but it is difficult and requires specialized knowledge and the acceptance of multiple POi points for a cache.)

The Oregon also has the touchscreen interface. That is a major plus and a VERY nice feature.

Very important - you have to understand that the Oregon is not a replacemnt for or an upgrade to the 60CSx. Simply an addtion to Garmin's lineup. Also, many will agree that if you are used to the many fine features of the 60CSx, than the Oregon just seems a bit lacking. If you have never used either, the Oregon is far easier to learn and operate. Once you experience true, easy to load paperless Geocaching it is difficult to even think about using anything else. With all of the software and firmware upadates, you will find either is as accurate and will get you where you need to go.

The Oregon has a dim screen and very nearly requires the backlight to be turned on for optimal use. However, a good pair of rechargeable NimH batteries can last 12-14 hours with good backlight settings.

My best recomendation (unless you are a former 60CSx owner) - go with the Oregon. I'd stick to the 300 and buy any maps you need later on.

Not wanting to hijack the post, in the same lines, can the Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx allow for bluechart or other marine maps?

You'll want to shop carefully here. My quick scan of the Garmin page sez the Map 60CSx can run the Blue Chart and WorldMap maps, but NOT the BlueChart g2 series. Either way, I'd also recommend getting them on CD/DVD rather than SD card. The CD/DVD allows more functionality on your computer.

Cheers

Its really hard to argue that the 60CSx is NOT the best overall Geocaching GPS made (to date).

However, the 60CSx does not really do paperless Geocaching ( you can but it is difficult and requires specialized knowledge and the acceptance of multiple POi points for a cache.)

The Oregon also has the touchscreen interface. That is a major plus and a VERY nice feature.

Very important - you have to understand that the Oregon is not a replacemnt for or an upgrade to the 60CSx. Simply an addtion to Garmin's lineup. Also, many will agree that if you are used to the many fine features of the 60CSx, than the Oregon just seems a bit lacking. If you have never used either, the Oregon is far easier to learn and operate. Once you experience true, easy to load paperless Geocaching it is difficult to even think about using anything else. With all of the software and firmware upadates, you will find either is as accurate and will get you where you need to go.

The Oregon has a dim screen and very nearly requires the backlight to be turned on for optimal use. However, a good pair of rechargeable NimH batteries can last 12-14 hours with good backlight settings.

My best recomendation (unless you are a former 60CSx owner) - go with the Oregon. I'd stick to the 300 and buy any maps you need later on.

Thanks for your advice StarBrand. I think the next thing I need to do is go and physically have a look at the units and take them outside in the sunlight to see which one I'd prefer. As an overall GPS unit for the other intended uses (Hiking & Photography), would you still recommend the Oregon over the 60CSx?

Thanks for your advice StarBrand. I think the next thing I need to do is go and physically have a look at the units and take them outside in the sunlight to see which one I'd prefer. As an overall GPS unit for the other intended uses (Hiking & Photography), would you still recommend the Oregon over the 60CSx?

yes - still recommend the Oregon. Just really easy to learn and to use.

yes - still recommend the Oregon. Just really easy to learn and to use.

Hi, I am just a newbie too, however just bought an oregon 300 and I really love it, just make sure that you figure out early on that when geocaching, once you get to the "area" turn it to off road tracking, otherwise it will send you back to the road all the time which is a pain, also, we are still working out how to do the trackback option lol, but it is great for geocaching, downloads whole description and logs, and the hint is separately listed so no accidental viewing but easy to find,

we have noticed though that even really good rechargeable batteries will only get you around 4-5 hours of usage on top settings so always carry spares with you.

I am also in Australia and if you pm me can tell you where we got ours at much less than retail pricing.

Ruth

If it was just for geocaching and you never used a 60CSX I'd say get the Oregon, but since you also want to use it for hiking I think the 60CSX would be the better choice. The Oregon is missing some features that I find important for hiking. For instance you can't change the color of your tracks or view multiple tracklogs on the screen at the same time with the Oregon. Also I've heard complaints that the Oregon's tracks aren't as accurate as the 60CSX and this seems to back that up. Additonally the trackback feature in the Oregon doesn't work quite as well because it doesn't create intermediate waypoints along the track. Finally the Oregon doesn't let you measure the distance between selected waypoints. These are features I find to be useful when hiking.

Edited by briansnat

If it was just for geocaching and you never used a 60CSX I'd say get the Oregon, but since you also want to use it for hiking I think the 60CSX would be the better choice. The Oregon is missing some features that I find important for hiking. For instance you can't change the color of your tracks or view multiple tracklogs on the screen at the same time with the Oregon. Also I've heard complaints that the Oregon's tracks aren't as accurate as the 60CSX and this seems to back that up. Additonally the trackback feature in the Oregon doesn't work quite as well because it doesn't create intermediate waypoints along the track. Finally the Oregon doesn't let you measure the distance between selected waypoints. These are features I find to be useful when hiking.

Thanks for that info Briansnat. The lack of intermediate waypoints might be a problem, I'll have to take this into consideration. I wonder if you can create them manually and then use them in trackback on the Oregon.

Thanks for that info Briansnat. The lack of intermediate waypoints might be a problem, I'll have to take this into consideration. I wonder if you can create them manually and then use them in trackback on the Oregon.

You could but that would be awfully labor intensive and would kind of spoil your walk. The 60CSX will mark a trackpoint every few feet automatically as you walk.

Actually I need to correct some of what I wrote above. Apparently a software upgrade addressed most of the issues with tracks, but there still seems to be issues with the accuracy of the tracks. Several reviews that I've read online complain about the track being 80-100 feet off in places.

Hi there. I'm currently trying to decide between the Garmin Oregon 300 and Map60Cx. I've read lots of info in the Groundspeak forums and other sites and still can't make up my mind. I'll be using the device for Geocaching, Hiking, and photography (to record routes and things of interest - eg individual fungi sites). From what I understand, the 60Cx is very popular, but being new I like the idea of being able to download all the relevant Geocache info including notes and tips to the one unit. The main thing I'm concerned about with the Oregon is the poor screen brightness and living in Australia where the sun shines more than not, this could be a big hassle. Your suggestions would be most welcome.

Wondering...have you looked at the DeLorme PN-40 yest??

You could but that would be awfully labor intensive and would kind of spoil your walk. The 60CSX will mark a trackpoint every few feet automatically as you walk.

Actually I need to correct some of what I wrote above. Apparently a software upgrade addressed most of the issues with tracks, but there still seems to be issues with the accuracy of the tracks. Several reviews that I've read online complain about the track being 80-100 feet off in places.

Yes an update makes the oregon work very much like the 60CSx with tracks.

On my Oregon, i've never seen the track off more than 30 -35 feet with the latest updates.