Would this be a no-no for a cache?

MotherofJackals

Is it considered bad form or a etiquette violation to make a cache that is self promoting? I make small crafts and sell them. My husband suggested that once we get the hang of this and learn our GPS better that we hide a few caches with items I made or even coupons for free stuff from my online shop. Is that allowed? frowned upon? Does anyone even care?

Sorry, it isn't allowed. From the guidelines.

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

Additionally, links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political or social agendas, or the inclusion of their associated logos are not permitted on cache descriptions without prior permission from Groundspeak.

Just to clarify - As Neos2 states above, the cache page listing itself must not have commercial intent, but you can put what items you like into the cache as swaps, providing they comply with these guidelines:

"People of all ages hide and seek caches, so think carefully before placing an item into a cache. Explosives, ammunition, knives, drugs and alcohol should not be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws.

Food items are always a bad idea. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache."

There's nothing to stop you putting in your own small craft items, perhaps within a small plastic bag with a label or card letting folks know where they come from.

MrsB :lol: