Attributes missing

PapaDean

Recently, when I go to a cache listing page, the attributes are missing. After searching the forum, I don't see this as being something noticed or discussed. Am I the only one with the problem? If not, anybody know what's up?

It's winter here and most caches are under 2 or more feet of snow. No point in looking for them if they don't have the WINTER accessible icon on the attributes.

Thanks.

Papadean

I have to agree with both previous posts. I am betting that the attributes are working fine but the CO chose not to have 'winter friendly' attached to their caches. My guess is that the cache was placed when there wasn't any snow and the CO honestly didn't know if it could be found in winter or not. When I placed my cache I debated adding it because I wasn't really sure. After checking other similar caches in the area I decided to add it.

This does bring about a good suggestion though. Winter would make a good time to do yearly maintenance. Not only could you check for moisture, cracks, bad camo, etc but you could also check if it really is 'winter friendly.'

Not sure why, but some people haven't been putting any attributes on their caches around here lately.

Having attributes on the cache page implies that you actually need to look at the cache page, in which case the cache should be listed as a Mystery cache (?). I'd guess the owners didn't want mystery caches.

1. There is no guideline, rule, or whatever - at least so far - that says that a cache that requires you to read the page before you look for it be listed as a mystery cache. The guideline that was added was simply for caches that have additional logging requirements. This is only on instance of a cache that may require you to read the page in order to log a find.

2. Attributes are at best only advisory. One never has to look at the attributes to find a cache. If the cacher can figure out how to get a cache without the "required" special equipment - or if he just happens to have the right equipment with him - can still find the cache. A cacher who wishes to to visit the cache without knowing the conditions is taking a risk but can still find the cache if he wants to. A cacher should notice if the area is closed to motor vehicles or closes after sunset and not seek the cache if they can't access it legally - whether or not they looked at the attributes or even if the cache has no attributes listed.

Attributes are showing up fine for me. I guess I would ask if you are sure that the caches you were looking at actually have attributes selected.

Well don't that beat all. I had looked over several caches and attributes didn't show up. I assumed they weren't working, but when I just checked my own caches and some other local ones, there they are! I'd never given it much thought before and just assumed we all put attributes in when we make up the listing for our caches. Now that I've done an informal survey--sometimes people do and sometimes they don't.

In our neck of the woods, with 15-50 inches of snow on the ground currently, geocaching tends to go into hibernation. For those of us crazy enough to try caching in spite of the blanket on the ground, the winter accessible attribute would be helpful, but most locals probably figure no one is out hunting.

Thanks for the responses.

PapaDean

Having attributes on the cache page implies that you actually need to look at the cache page, in which case the cache should be listed as a Mystery cache (?). I'd guess the owners didn't want mystery caches.

Just because I've put the Dogs Allowed and Picnic Tables Nearby attributes on a cache page, it needs to be listed as a Mystery? I'm thinking... No.

Geez!!!

It was a joke.

At least I got it.

- Rev Mike

Geez!!!

It was a joke.

At least I got it.

- Rev Mike

Thanks, Mike!

It was a joke...sorta.

I was thinking back about a recent thread where a cacher wanted to hide a TB hotel, and make it at least somewhat secure by putting a combination lock on the container. The combination was to be plainly available on the cache page, no encryption, just write it down and go. His reviewer insisted that since seekers would be FORCED to READ the cache page, it had to be listed as a Mystery (?) Cache, which the owner didn't want.

I don't know if this is a site-wide interpretation, or just that reviewer's take on it.

That got me to thinking about the possibility that a 'load-and-go' cacher could fall off a cliff because they didn't see the 'Cliff/Falling Rocks' attribute. I guess the difference is that you NEED the combo (to access the logbook) before you get there, but you might avoid the cliff on your own.