Error opening "current.gpx" on Oregon 400T

When I try to open the current.gpx file in GeoBuddy I get an error message.

"The open command could not be completed. The fileCurrent.gpx could not be opened.

This XML file contains one or more errors. Error 0xC00CE508 on line a, position 1061

Reason: An invalid character was found in text content."

I thinks there was a similar problem when the Colorado came out.

Any suggestions?

Pat

When I try to open the current.gpx file in GeoBuddy I get an error message.

"The open command could not be completed. The fileCurrent.gpx could not be opened.

This XML file contains one or more errors. Error 0xC00CE508 on line a, position 1061

Reason: An invalid character was found in text content."

I thinks there was a similar problem when the Colorado came out.

Any suggestions?

Pat

There is nothing you need in the current.gpx file. It's for export only. I'd just delete it and let it rebuild.

Edited by RonFisk

Pat,

If you email current.gpx to me (support @@@ geobuddy.com), I can salvage what's in the file for you.

Best wishes for 2009!

Dan Foster, author of GeoBuddy geocaching software

Thanks Dan you have been very helpfull in the past and I appreciate your customer support. I may forward you the file but I’m not sure that will help me. If the next “current.gpx” created by the Oregon won’t load either I think I need to address this to Garmin. After several hours of tinkering with the

Oregon I was finally able to import my waypoints into GeoBuddy but I’m clueless as to what made it work now. I still can not upload Geocache files but that is not a problem as they are available on line.

Thanks again for you support.

Pat

That's not the case, several mistakes lead to this problem.

Change batteries while gps software is closing down, uploading wrong or corrupted data to gps, fiddling around in the gps with explorer.

At the end people don't really know what they have done and blame the gps.

There are cases where the Oregon and Colorado will output bogus characters in a waypoint name which causes Mapsource and EGPS to throw the errors on current.gpx as described above. From the Colorado issues list (I just verified it still happens in 2.9):

7/29/08: Waypoints imported to the Colorado that contain no <name> tag get exported into current.gpx with illegal characters in the <name> tag. NE_locs.gpx demonstrates the problem. Copy this file into [drive]:\Garmin\GPX, disconnect, power on and connect to a computer. The current.gpx file which is created will have two waypoints that have illegal characters in their name fields, see the waypoint "Pierri" for example. (2.6) [General]

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/space...age/NE_locs.gpx

Dan can probably tell us under what circumstances this happens, but the issue usually shows up when I import waypoints from EGPS to the Colorado that don't contain a <name> tag. The Colorado will export bogus data to current.gpx .

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers