newbie confused on maps for 60csx

martybauer31

Hi there, so I have a Nuvi 265wt for my car and it appears that I don't really need to spend $100 on the City Navigator for my incoming 60csx.

If folks could give suggestions as to what would be the best and cost me the least for what I am wanting to do it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I live in the Seattle area and am planning on using my 60csx for geocaching, hiking, etc., maybe the occasional trek around town, but mostly activity in Washington state. In my other thread it was suggested that for paperless caching, cachemate and GSAK were the way to go.

So I think I have that covered, now I just need to know what maps and other tools will be best for geocaching and whatever else I may try. The maps at GPSFileDepot appear to be free for the most part, can I use these and set waypoints for my hikes, or do I need something else on top of the topo maps.

The new guy is still a bit confused, so type slowly if you can. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the help!

Marty

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses...

So the road maps for the us won't cover trails and things like that? I did see a link to this site within the GPSFileDepot pointing here:

http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html

Would something like this work with mapsource? I see the mention using City Navigator and doing an overlay over the top.... more confusion sets in for Marty.

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses...

So the road maps for the us won't cover trails and things like that? I did see a link to this site within the GPSFileDepot pointing here:

http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html

Would something like this work with mapsource? I see the mention using City Navigator and doing an overlay over the top.... more confusion sets in for Marty.

I can't recommend enough using Northwest Trails if you are in the Seattle area! It's a transparent map which can overlay other maps (Topo, City Navigator, etc and installs into Mapsource just like Garmin's maps) and has seemingly endless trails, forest roads, etc. It's super groovy and if you happen across a trail not included, everyone appreciates you submitting your tracklog of the trail to Moun10Bike :D

I'm working on a more detailed Topo map for WA. If it turns out decent I plan on making it available for free. Hopefully that'll be next month (as I really wish I had it yesterday!). I know that at least one other person is working on a WA Topo right now, but I don't know if they plan on making it available. I'd watch GPSFileDepot (as that's where I saw reference to it).

I live in the Seattle area and am planning on using my 60csx for geocaching, hiking, etc., maybe the occasional trek around town, but mostly activity in Washington state.

Marty,

You ought to consider the Wash 24K Topos, you can download samples and install into Mapsource and use those maps on your Nuvi and 60CSx. I have the Colorado 24K Topos, awesome.

While I don't have these myself, they look pretty awesome and they seem highly recommended by everyone who runs them.