How long is a rail?

sguthery

One of the bounds on a benchmark I'm chasing is given as "8 rails east of the east end of the station". Since the benchmark is on a railroad right of way I thought maybe a rail was a tie but that didn't seem to get me to where I was supposed to be.

So ... how long is a rail?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers, Scott

One of the bounds on a benchmark I'm chasing is given as "8 rails east of the east end of the station". Since the benchmark is on a railroad right of way I thought maybe a rail was a tie but that didn't seem to get me to where I was supposed to be.

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers, Scott

You might pose this question in the Becchmark section, where there are likely to be some people who are more familiar with the terminology? I always assumed they were counting accross multiple sets to reach a number, but they could be referring to the length of each section. I wonder if it has changed over the years?

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

My initial reaction is the length of a section of rail before a weld (not that they actually make track that way anymore, but they used to).

24 foot seems to stick in my mind from a railway museum visit a few years back.

The most common standard was 39 feet, which could be carried on a standard 40 foot flatcar. Some railroads varied, especially early ones.

My initial reaction is the length of a section of rail before a weld (not that they actually make track that way anymore, but they used to).

24 foot seems to stick in my mind from a railway museum visit a few years back.

I surveyed for about 10 years and a "rail" is just that - the length of an actual rail, but cannot remember if it was 16 or 24 feet (if not more).

I remember seeing all types of units of measurements - wagon wheel rotations, "sticks", "chains" (sticks were used by surveyors that couldn't afford a chain to measure with; hence, they cut "sticks" to match chain measurements) in old (Very old) deeds.

Edited by wkmccall

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers, Scott

39" if it's talking about railroad tracks. Just count the rails. If the rail is now continously welded...that's going to make counting hard, but 39' per rail would give you a start.