Is there an easier way to do this?

ThatPoshGirl

I'm really interested in doing some EarthCaches. I'm in Nevada and don't have the resources to travel very far, so I want to start with things close to me. I went to the cache list at EarthCache.org and found it to be a little unruly. I couldn't figure out a convenient way to search it.

Since the waypoint information links to geocaching.com I thought maybe I could search for EarthCaches there, but so far haven't figured out how. What I ended up doing was downloading the EarthCache spreadsheet and then using Google maps to plot the coords of each cache. That allowed me to see which were closest to me, but it was pretty tedious.

Is there a better way to do it?

If you have a premium membership at Geocaching.com, you can filter the search list by cache type. For example, you can uncheck all cache types except earthcaches, and can see those on a Google Map. Standard members have all caches visible, without the ability to toggle off/on the various types of caches.

I'm really interested in doing some EarthCaches. I'm in Nevada and don't have the resources to travel very far, so I want to start with things close to me. I went to the cache list at EarthCache.org and found it to be a little unruly. I couldn't figure out a convenient way to search it.

Since the waypoint information links to geocaching.com I thought maybe I could search for EarthCaches there, but so far haven't figured out how. What I ended up doing was downloading the EarthCache spreadsheet and then using Google maps to plot the coords of each cache. That allowed me to see which were closest to me, but it was pretty tedious.

Is there a better way to do it?

The best way to view caches near your location is to download and install the Geocaching KML file in Google Earth. Each cache is marked by the icon assigned on the geocaching.com website and you can see everything in relation to the point you are hovering over in Google Earth.

If you look on your My Account page on the right hand side down near the bottom of the page you should see a link to the Geocaching.com KML file. You can install Google Earth, load that file into My Places and you have the ultimate eye in the sky for geocaching. You do have to zoom down to less than 500 miles in the scale before caches appear but that is plenty. You have a hyperlink to the cache page and you can see where everything is in realtion to everything else.

If you haven't tried this Google Earth/Geocaching.com KML solution yet you are going to be pleasantly surprisecd.

There you go, Google Earth for Earthcaching, go figure. :blink:

The best way to view caches near your location is to download and install the Geocaching KML file in Google Earth. Each cache is marked by the icon assigned on the geocaching.com website and you can see everything in relation to the point you are hovering over in Google Earth.

If you look on your My Account page on the right hand side down near the bottom of the page you should see a link to the Geocaching.com KML file. You can install Google Earth, load that file into My Places and you have the ultimate eye in the sky for geocaching. You do have to zoom down to less than 500 miles in the scale before caches appear but that is plenty. You have a hyperlink to the cache page and you can see where everything is in realtion to everything else.

If you haven't tried this Google Earth/Geocaching.com KML solution yet you are going to be pleasantly surprisecd.

There you go, Google Earth for Earthcaching, go figure. :blink:

Wow. That is very cool, and very helpful. Thanks.

Seeing how you are new(?), I suggest starting off with asking a local cacher who has found some ECs in your area before. By doing this you may get the help you are seeking in finding some EarthCaches

I'm guessing you cache with someone already and have experienced a EC before :blink: .

Looks like Nevada has 46 active ECs, either you live by a group of them or you only have one or two EarthCaches near your home.

Good luck :) .

Edited by Cav Scout