Newbie Needing GPS Help

The Adams'

Hello......

We are going to buy our family a GPS for Christmas to use for travel and geocaching with the kids.

We're new to this. Have some friends involved in it that we camp with.

Want to buy a GPS that can be used in the car for directions and such but also want it to be able to be used for geocaching.

Do not know if the usual portable automobile ones (TomTom, Garmin, Mio, Magellan, etc.) can be used for geocaching and so need some input and suggestions.

Cannot afford a $500 unit. Need input on the less expensive options ($100-$150).

Want to make sure what we buy is useful and can have coordinates entered so we can use it for both applications. Don't know if the people at the stores would be able to help us or not so thought I'd start here.

Thanks for your time. We wish you a Merry Christmas and Gods blessing this holyday season.

The Adams' Family

Edited by The Adams'

Sorry but generally speaking, the inexpensive car units pre-loaded with maps and such are just not real suitable for Geocaching. Mind you, they can be used and there is lots of help for doing that but they are just not the best tool for the job. Short battery life, not very rugged, poor fit in your hand, tendancy to navigate on roads etc.... However take a look at this thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=195389

You are going to have a tough time finding a unit that is great at in-car Nav with maps and Geocaching for that price range. My best recomendation is to grab one of those nice Christmas deals and something like a Garmin 2xx Nuvi for in-car (Seen them for sub $100 in the past 2 weeks) AND an inexpensive handheld for trail use while Geocaching - something like a Garmin Venture HC for about $125.

Edited by StarBrand

Thanks so much for the honest and expedient reply. I was beginning to think this would be the case. I know you can actually get a simple handheld at Cabellas for we under a hundy. A friend at work was telling me about them. We're new to it.... as in never done one yet....., so I'm thinking a simple one would be fine to get started.... then if we really become addicted, we'll look at an upgrade.

Thanks again........

A couple of customers have noted the issue with the battery, it is an internal Li-ion which means you can't carry spare batteries with you. Battery life of 3 hours is not going to work on a lot of geocaching adventures. It looks like a dandy GPS otherwise but out on the trail you will be very disappointed and could even become quite lost if your unit died and you had no way to change batteries.

Because of the very short battery life that unit may not be well suited to geocaching adventures but if you are planning on doing urban caches that can usually be found on short trips from the car it might be OK.

Edited by wavector

For less or about $100, you can buy Delorme Street Atlas 2009 with GPS receiver for your laptop, which you can download geocaches to this program, super program...I have been using it for 14 years....For geocaching.....garmin Map 60CSx...Try not to think "cheap", if you do, it will cost you more down the road and you wont be a happy cacher....Good luck and stay safe

For geocaching.....garmin Map 60CSx.

I will continue to tell people that this unit, the 60Csx, is a reliable old workhorse (Outisde Magazines Unit of the Year in 2006[/;) which has been replaced by other units that are easier to use and better for geocaching. I consider the Colorado and the Oregon to be superior to a 60Csx.

If a geocacher is "new" and they are spending money to get a good GPS they should get an Oregon, then they can just go geocaching without buying third party software to try and make an old Palm and a 60Csx act like an Oregon.

But the OP said they wanted a GPS in a specific price range and that price range is well below what an Oregon or a 60Csx will cost.

I ended up getting a 60CSx and have been really happy with it... for all of the 3 days I've had it so far... :-)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CSOXTO/02-4686-20 was on sale for $261 at amazon a couple of days ago and the price seems to fluctuate +15$ any given day.

Definitely a bit out of your $150 budget but as the other poster said below, try not to think cheap but long term.

For less or about $100, you can buy Delorme Street Atlas 2009 with GPS receiver for your laptop, which you can download geocaches to this program, super program...I have been using it for 14 years....For geocaching.....garmin Map 60CSx...Try not to think "cheap", if you do, it will cost you more down the road and you wont be a happy cacher....Good luck and stay safe

Maybe a Vista HCx, although some folks don't like the layout of the buttons it is similar to the 60 CSx in capabilities. I've seen them going for under 200 bucks..pretty close to you price range. It can auto route with the appropriate map downloaded,so it will work OK on the street.

I think to be happy though you'll eventually want 2 GPSr units,one for the car and one for caching.

I would have to Agree with StarBrand for the price range you are looking at The Nuvi200 and a Etrex Venture HC would be a great combo to work with. You get onroad nave as well as paperless feature with the Nuvi and then the Etrex for your off road navigation to the Cache. I have been seeing the Nuve for around 100 and the HC for for around $115.

I use the Nuvi 255w for paperless and onroad navi my self and a GPSMAP 60CSx for offroad.

I'd say go for the Garmin 60CSX with City Navigator, but that is out of your price range. A Legend HCX with City Navigator comes a bit closer to your price range, but though Legend HCX will give you driving directions, it's difficult to operate in a vehicle with the buttons on the side.

I second Damin69's idea of getting a Nuvi 200 and an inexpensive hand held like the Venture HC. The two will run you about $250 together but you'll have the proper tool for each job, the Nuvi for your vehicle and the Venture HC for geocaching.