Hold time on Travel Bug

kvanderploeg

What is considered an acceptable "hold time" for keeping a travel bug in your possession? The reason I'm asking is that I found a TB that is for Diabetes, and my Father is new to the sport, and is Diabetic. I think it would be neat to hand off to him to hide, but I probably won't see him until Christmas.

Kent

http://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugfaq.aspx says it's good to not hold on to bugs for longer than 2 weeks. But since geocaching.com removed the actual 2 week warning asterix in ones own profile on all bugs that they have had for longer than 2 weeks, I'm guessing that they don't care how long you hold on to them. But the bug owners will care. But if it's one of those Unite For Diabetes, there really is no owner for those thousands of bugs.

Carry it with you while caching and log it into then out of some of the caches you find (this is often called "dipping"). The bug will acrue mileage and the owner gets updates on status.

I wouldn't do this with every cache you visit on a 30-cache run, but a couple of caches a week would be good.

I have a couple cachers doing that to some of my TBs. I placed one for each of my elementary classes so they could have a fun geography extension lesson. As the cachers noted above are traveling this holiday season they are planning on dropping off my TBs, but are logging them occasionally into caches so my students can enjoy watching them travel about. Since it doesn't matter to me WHO moves them about (I appreciate anyone who takes the time!) this is a great alternative to the TBs just sitting in a cache somewhere.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugfaq.aspx says it's good to not hold on to bugs for longer than 2 weeks. But since geocaching.com removed the actual 2 week warning asterix in ones own profile on all bugs that they have had for longer than 2 weeks, I'm guessing that they don't care how long you hold on to them. But the bug owners will care. But if it's one of those Unite For Diabetes, there really is no owner for those thousands of bugs.

Yes, it is one of those Unite for Diabetes TB's. I'll probably just try to check it into and out a couple of caches before Christmas comes. Thanks, everyone for all the advice!

Kent

Carry it with you while caching and log it into then out of some of the caches you find (this is often called "dipping"). The bug will acrue mileage and the owner gets updates on status.

I wouldn't do this with every cache you visit on a 30-cache run, but a couple of caches a week would be good.

How 'bout that? I never even heard of that until your post! Good stuff.

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

What is considered an acceptable "hold time" for keeping a travel bug in your possession? The reason I'm asking is that I found a TB that is for Diabetes, and my Father is new to the sport, and is Diabetic. I think it would be neat to hand off to him to hide, but I probably won't see him until Christmas.

Kent

You're okay. Go ahead and hold it until you can pass it along to him.

Yes, it is one of those Unite for Diabetes TB's. I'll probably just try to check it into and out a couple of caches before Christmas comes. Thanks, everyone for all the advice!

I don't think these corporate-sponsored TBs are "owned" or watched by any one person, so you can probably keep it as long as you want. But I might be wrong.