map color on oregon 400t

All the pictures i see on the web of the oregon 400t, and the pictures on the box and owners manual show the topo map very colorful and vivid. My oregon, howerver, has a dull green color, and the lakes and rivers are shown in white instead of blue. Is this normal?

Sounds like you have it set on "Marine" mode.

All the pictures i see on the web of the oregon 400t, and the pictures on the box and owners manual show the topo map very colorful and vivid. My oregon, howerver, has a dull green color, and the lakes and rivers are shown in white instead of blue. Is this normal?

Sounds like you have it set on "Marine" mode.

Nope, Recreational profile?

No, I mean you have the maps set to the "Marine" color scheme......

Setup/Marine/Marine Chart Mode .... turn to OFF. This changes with different profiles.

It is turned off. I think it may have something to do with the terrain in south GA and central FL where i use it. i can scroll map to the west NC east TN area and get better colors with that terrain. IDK. Thanks for the info!

did you update the system software?

try automotive mode.

i just downloaded the latest firmware. i switched to geocaching profile and i now have blue water. but it still dont look as vivid and colorful as the pics. wish i knew someone with one so i could compare. may be normal color?

Keep in mind the pictures you see around of the Oregon and Colorado aren't usually pictures of the actual screen, they are screen captures from the device which are perfect bitmaps of the screen image. What you see in the field won't be as clear and bright unless you have the unit in a dark room with the backlight cranked up, and even then...

It is turned off. I think it may have something to do with the terrain in south GA and central FL where i use it. i can scroll map to the west NC east TN area and get better colors with that terrain. IDK. Thanks for the info!

I'm sorry, but if you have white water, it is in Marine mode, period....

I'm sorry, but if you have white water, it is in Marine mode, period....

Or you're on the Colorado river... :D

There's a utility to grab screen captures from your Garmin GPS - I can't remember the name of it, sorry. The colors are much more vivid - yellow terrain instead of tan, bright green instead of dull green, etc. This is the reason the GPS never looks as good as the box or example screens in the manual. It does make for nice marketing materials, though.