PN-40: how to load pocket queries?

JohnRomola

On my Garmin 76Csx, I use GSAK to send pocket queries (which I use a lot) to my GPSr. I just received my PN-40, have a lot to learn! First question: how to find a list of nearby caches (pocket query?) and then download them to the NP-40? More questions will come later I assume but this is by far the biggest question I have at the moment.

-- John

...either

1. download your Pocket query gpx files. Goto step 3.

or

2. from GSAK...How i have uploaded geocaches from GSAK... get your

list of caches up, filtered how you want..do a File..export GPX...

save the GPX file somewhere. Have a few past logs in there as well. 5

or so. Just export a few waypoints the first time to get used to it.

Download and install this GSAK macro

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry44610

.Install it. Figure out how to use it, then run it and convert the GPX

file you just generated above.. Go to step 3 using the now converted

gpx file.

3. Take the GPX file from step 1 or 2 , and import it into Topo 7.

I'll go to the DRAW tab, click File, then import. Browse to the

location of the GPX file, and click OPEN. Then, with your PN-40

connected to your computer and turned on, be sure that the PN-40 says

"Data Exchange" as the transfer method. In Topo 7, click the data

exchange symbol and then under waypoints, you can select the layer

containing the caches and it will send over all caches.

Newbie here.

Have a PN-40. Am in my 30-day free premium membership time frame.

I executed a Pocket Query. I chose the .gpx file format. From what I read, it is this format that lets you read the geocache clues. The .loc format does not.

Problem is that the geocaches are exported in the .loc format. I performed this operation 2wice. Made sure both times to select .gpx format.

Fairly frustrated at how to rectify the Groundspeak's insistence on exporting the geocaches in .loc format. :)

Any help out there? One of the main reasons I bought the PN-40 was for paperless geocaching.

Any help appreciated.

GPX files can be obtained in two ways. You can download them one at a time from individual cache pages or you can create a pocket query, preview it to be sure it includes the caches you want and then check a day of the week to have it mailed to you. If you download from the preview page you will get loc files.

Team Taran

PN-40 :)

You export a GPX from GSAK and import it to Topo7. Then you can load up to 1000 waypoints to the GPS by blanket coverage, or by selecting them to be copied to another waypoint layer.

Only 1000 waypoints? Is there a way to put in 15000 waypoints or POIs like I do on the Garmin 60CSX? I bought a PN-40 and got frustrated trying to get it to do what the 60CSx did. I travel a lot and having to reload waypoints depending on where I am going isn't very productive. After a year now of caching and a gsak database of 15000+ waypoints and growing, it is much easier to update the 60CSx once a month.

PN-40 :)

You export a GPX from GSAK and import it to Topo7. Then you can load up to 1000 waypoints to the GPS by blanket coverage, or by selecting them to be copied to another waypoint layer.

Only 1000 waypoints? Is there a way to put in 15000 waypoints or POIs like I do on the Garmin 60CSX? I bought a PN-40 and got frustrated trying to get it to do what the 60CSx did. I travel a lot and having to reload waypoints depending on where I am going isn't very productive. After a year now of caching and a gsak database of 15000+ waypoints and growing, it is much easier to update the 60CSx once a month.

There is a method to do POI's but I have read it is a bit limiting so I don't bother. 1000 is all there is currently. I'm hoping a firmware update will improve upon this, but it is a much better system than my MeriPlat ever was as it currently stands.