Leap second warning

DENelson83

It won't matter in the slightest.

We are currently at a GPS leap second of something like 14.

But when I look at my GPS's time, and I listen to shortwave WWWV or look at my WWWVB enabled 'atomic' clock I see exactly the same seconds. I guess the leap second is compensated for in all applications.

but when I have the Magellan's BADRTCR error my displayed time can be 'off' from correct time by sometmies up to several minutes (yes minutes, not seconds). http://ray.jerome.jobs.googlepages.com/gpshints

Edited by trainlove

But when I look at my GPS's time, and I listen to shortwave WWWV or look at my WWWVB enabled 'atomic' clock I see exactly the same seconds. I guess the leap second is compensated for in all applications.

Too many W's. It's WWV and WWVB.

GPS doesn't use UCT. It uses its own system - GPST. Leap seconds are not included, but the offset between them and UTC is included in the satellite data.

But a GPS knows the offset (currently 14 secs) between GPS time and UTC and, as Prime Suspect said, already knows how to do that math to get the time offset out of the transmitted data. So all self-respecting GPS and software concerned with such things should just correctly observe the extra second during the new year's eve parties and do the right thing. I won't be surprised if some won't take a few minutes to do it (probably they'd need to receive another satellite fix) but they should recognize it pretty quickly.

Magellan's handling of time is just broken. The time they display has *no* correlation to the time they're pulling from the satellites.

Will it eventually have to delay its clock by one second or will it indeed show 23:59:60 UTC when the leap second actually occurs?
LOL This is a joke, Yes. :D

The must have fell for it in London:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/a...cYPOqBqJNqIuhmw

Actually this is correct. It isn't a joke. The time will be (actually was) 23:59:60 UTC. You will need to figure out what time that is for your time zone. 15:59:60 Pacific time. Any self-respecting GPS receiver will know about it and handle it correctly. Note that it occurred at 23:59:60 UTC, not local time, so it has already occurred (about 45 minutes ago as I type this). Hope you enjoyed it. It might be the last for a while. There is talk in the community of not doing another one until there is a 500 second difference, which could be in 500 years or more (depending how how our home planet wobbles around).

Magellan's handling of time is just broken. The time they display has *no* correlation to the time they're pulling from the satellites.

Since the WAAS satellites changed, my 6 year old Meridian has kept very accurate time. I just checked it against my "atomic" clock and on 10MHz on my HF radio. It is about 1 second slow.

It used to be the same for my eXplorist. At some point this year, I removed the LiIon battery and it is back to being about 2min 40sec slow. Coordinates and track logs are very accurate. When I geotag, I just sync my camera to it and all works fine.