Critter repellant

Stan&Ruth

We have had two caches in Lock&Lock boxes that were opened by critters and the swag scattered over the ground. We are quite sure that the perpetrators were raccoons. The scratches on the latches were about right for raccoon claws. We don’t think that there was any type of food item in the caches, but of course an unenlightened Geocacher could have placed something like that in the cache after our last inspection visit. (Don’t tell me that the solution is to use an Amo can because park rules in this area prohibit that) Has anyone come up with a successful critter repellant for Geocaches? I am going to experiment with spraying a cache with some stuff that is sold to discourage a dog from chewing things around the house. I sprayed a Lock&Lock box with some of that stuff and showed it to my dog. After one sniff she turned around and would not have anything to do with it. I don’t know how long the stuff will last on the box in the woods. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

I am going to experiment with spraying a cache with some stuff that is sold to discourage a dog from chewing things around the house. I sprayed a Lock&Lock box with some of that stuff and showed it to my dog. After one sniff she turned around and would not have anything to do with it. I don’t know how long the stuff will last on the box in the woods. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

That may work. Give it a try. Some years ago we had a cat and I put one of those cat doors in a basement window so that cat could come and go as it pleased. One evening my wife heard a noise in the basement and went to see what it was. There were five racoons in our basement feasting on cat food. So, I took and old nylon stocking and put some moth balls in it and hung it above the window. The coons never returned. Try the spray first. Racoons seem to be sensitive to smell. Good luck!! :rolleyes:

I had a thought after posting. Should you spray the cache, it might be a good idea to warn cachers by posting that the cache has been sprayed so they can take precautions in handling the cache if they choose to. Don't want anyone to get it on their hands an then eat something or get it in their eyes.

Edited by Walkworthy

Just a thought... it would seem that those sprays would readily wash off of the container and therefore not last long in the woods. So perhaps a good spray of the general area around the cache might help as well. Seems it would also keep them at a bit more of a distance during the "re-training" phase.

I was also wondering if one could put some kind of small conatiner inside the cache like a perforated can (Altoids type) suffed with cotton that was soaked with the stuff. If the critters did manage to get it open, the sudden intensity of the fumes from inside might help train them not to mess with such objects. You'd of course have to make such a container in a way that it is not mistaken for swag and it should be clearly labeled as to what it is and what's inside.

Maybe even such a perforated container attached to the outside of the cache would prevent it from being washed away so quickly. Just thinking aloud...

I am going to experiment with spraying a cache with some stuff that is sold to discourage a dog from chewing things around the house.

I'd check what this stuff is first. I had some for my pup several years ago, and it was bitter apple juice. (Dogs don't like bitter apples? :huh: ) Besides washing off, it would also most-likely be an attractant for raccoons, and other critters of a smellier nature. :huh: Predator urine would work until washed off or refreshed, moth balls would probably last longer.

Just my .02

I think this has come up before?

I would give the AREA (not the container itself) a good dousing with predator urine.

I would not mess around with coyote (or any store bought preparations) but would go straight to the top and use the urine of the most dangerous, vicious, and blood-thirsty predator known! :huh:

Of course regular and repeated renewal of the scent-marking would be needed, but should be easily accomplished with the correct dispensing mechanism. :huh:

I think this has come up before?

I would give the AREA (not the container itself) a good dousing with predator urine.

I would not mess around with coyote (or any store bought preparations) but would go straight to the top and use the urine of the most dangerous, vicious, and blood-thirsty predator known! :huh:

Of course regular and repeated renewal of the scent-marking would be needed, but should be easily accomplished with the correct dispensing mechanism. :huh:

Umm... despite AZ's suggestion to pee on the tree (man is the top of the food chain, after all...) you might want to try this.

Dog hair. :D

Find someone with a dog, ask for shedded hair. Offer to brush dogs' hair, and keep the hair stuck in the brush. Go to a groomer, ask for sweepings. The more the better.

Put the hair in old stockings and hang them close to the cache. While some things will wash away in the rain, rain will only make the wet dog smell stronger! ;)

We have had two caches in Lock&Lock boxes that were opened by critters and the swag scattered over the ground. We are quite sure that the perpetrators were raccoons. The scratches on the latches were about right for raccoon claws. We don’t think that there was any type of food item in the caches, but of course an unenlightened Geocacher could have placed something like that in the cache after our last inspection visit. (Don’t tell me that the solution is to use an Amo can because park rules in this area prohibit that) Has anyone come up with a successful critter repellant for Geocaches? I am going to experiment with spraying a cache with some stuff that is sold to discourage a dog from chewing things around the house. I sprayed a Lock&Lock box with some of that stuff and showed it to my dog. After one sniff she turned around and would not have anything to do with it. I don’t know how long the stuff will last on the box in the woods. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

Try hanging some moth balls in a bag outside the cache.

Try hanging some moth balls in a bag outside the cache.