Santa's bringing me a Venture HC, got any screenshots?

lil'hobo

Santa’s bringing me a Venture HC for this holiday season and I am beyond excited about it. This will be my first experience with a modern GPSr. My current unit is a late 90’s Garmin GPS 12, which I love; however, it has many shortcomings, such as no base map, cannot download caches to it (I’m unwilling to spend money on cables for it), loses signal under light tree cover, etc. I have looked over the forums and this unit seems like a great step up, but I am dying to see some screen shots of the Venture HC in action. Garmin’s website doesn’t show enough. Anyone with screen shots that want to share would be appreciated, as well as any tips and tricks on using it too. Maybe it’ll tide me over till I get my new toy!

Thanks!

Sorry, no screenshots (at office now), but a thread by some owners of the unit:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=207058

You may want to get something to protect the LCD. Some people swear by Invisible Shield. I used the Garmin pouch ($11 at Amazon) instead.

The basemaps are essentially useless. I took that out of the "Pages" sequence entirely. In fact, pressing "Page" mine just cycles through the satellite screen, the "Find" screen and the trip computer screen. If you need the main menu, go to the "Find" screen then press the Menu button (lower left side) twice.

If you're not a premium member and uses GSAK, then the most useful tool would be the "Send to GPS" plug-in for your browser. It's a little irritating - keeps opening up new windows when I do it from the Map screen, but it beats entering coordinates by hand.

Customize the trip computer / compass screen. There are 4 boxes there that can show different information. I have one of them showing GPS accuracy, and the other distance to waypoint (cache). It shows distance to waypoint by default, but you have to add the accuracy box by yourself.

Add your phone number and e-mail address to the startup message. If you lose it, at least there is a chance the person might contact you.

Just some random thoughts for now.

We just bought a Venture HC. It's our 5th GPSr. Great value for the price. Amazon seller had it for only $114 shipped.

No screen shots but I also recommend the Invisible shield screen saver idea. They are only $13 but before long, you will drop your GPSr on some gravel and the screen will get scraped up. The screen saver is cheaper to replace than the screen.

For maps, I use an old copy of Garmin Roads & Recreation. You can still get this older software on eBay from time to time. This software doesn't have autorouting but the Venture HC doesn't autoroute anyway. OR get a new copy of Topo.

Reception will be WAAAAAY better than your old GPSr!

Edited by GrnXnham

Oh, I am getting excited about the Venture HC now. The idea of it actually holding a position more accurately than my current GPSr is exciting. I mean, I appreciate the hunt of geocaching and don’t want an unfair advantage; however, any little bit helps.

Chrysalides, thanks for the tips, I think the tip on adding my info to the start up page will definitely be used. Unfortunately, I have been known to lose a thing or two, but I am sure I’ll hang onto the Venture like gold. Also, cool ideas for how to organize the menus.

GrnXnham, great tip on the screen saver cover (and Chrysalides too). I will certainly protect the screen, as I hope to use this unit for a long time to come. Being a broke grad student requires extreme frugality.

As for the additional maps, it seems like everyone recommends at least some add-on to the base map. Cool pics, Coggins, are those what the topo series from garmin looks like? They seem quite detailed.

Santa came through for me! I memorized the manual and I'm playing with all the different settings. What a difference from GPSr's from 10 plus years ago. This unit even gets a signal in my house, I am sure that some trees will cause no problems. Also, loading caches straight from the Geocaching.com site is instantaneous. How cool.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by lil'hobo