Html entities in logs

LQ

Many logs for caches in Japan contains logs written in both English and Japanese. My first try to enter kanji and kana characters to my test cache ended up in a log containg only question marks. The proper caracters are seen right after you post your log, but then they turn into '???????' . Eventually found the "workaround" for this, that is typing your log as html entities. A drawback with this is that you can't edit your log afterwards, without retyping the whole log.

And now the inconsistency; this can't be done for logs for trackable items.

I would have needed this for a Japanese geocoin that I just retreived from a local cache. My logging attempt allways ended up with the 'retry your attempt / error reporting page'. Also tested on my own geocoin and on one of my caches. Here is the properly looking test log from my cache.

Don't know if this "workarond" is intended or not, but the way it works now is very inconsistent.

ps. Before anyone tries to point out that I should remove the spaces between & and # in my retreive log: I had to insert those in order to get the log through.

Edited by lq

I'm not trying to put any kind of bells and whistles stuff into my logs, just plain text including international characters. (Ok, I used bb code for emphasis in bold text.)

I really don't care what you would like to call the method I used to enter these characters to my log:

cc91cc11-63fe-4390-8cf1-6435a993f077.jpg

But I'm pretty sure it isn't UBB.

Here in the forum I can just copy and paste the text as is. But I guess we have to wait for the next generation of gc.com for better support of international character sets without 'tricks'.

これはテストです。

This is a test.

Det här är ett test.

Tämä on testi.

Typed as is, in a cache log this would probably turn into something like this.

?????????

This is a test.

Det här är ett test.

Tämä on testi.

And to get to the main point of this thread trying this in a log for a geocoin or TB will result in an error.

Edited by lq

ps. Before anyone tries to point out that I should remove the spaces between & and # in my retreive log: I had to insert those in order to get the log through.

Just because the log got throuigh with your extra spaces, does not mean that you have a correctly prepaired sequence of HTML entities. It's no wonder that the log shows gobbledygook.

あ り が と う ご ざ い ま す 。

Why don't you try to use the <alt> key and those 'numbers' to create your characters? I've done that with cache logs, bug logs, and forum posts successfully.

P.S. Just where did you come up with those 5 digit numbers? There is no such thing?

Edited by trainlove
P.S. Just where did you come up with those 5 digit numbers? There is no such thing?

Unicode has up to about 65,535 characters. That's five digits.

I don't think you quite comprehend the difficulties encountered by people who use languages which require non-Roman alphabets.

Edward