Events?

ladybearbc

Hello!

Newbie here - and am just learning the ropes.

I thought I read - in the myriad of sites I have been browsing through - that there is a way to see 'Events' that are happening in your area.

Unfortunately, I have not stumbled upon that article since the first time I read it.

Is there a way to find out if events are occurring - if so - would someone share how?

Thank you

:)

Hi Ladybearbc - welcome to caching!!

Since you are here in BC - the best & easiest way I found when starting was to go to:

www.bcgeocaching.com

It is the local site for BC, on that site on the right hand side they are listed for you. As well if you click "newest caches" on the top it will list all the new caches placed in BC and the events show up at the top as they Haven't happened as of yet.

The events are listed under the calender and the section is entitled "coming events"

You can also create a "pocket query" looking for events in BC.

We do have a "travelbug hospital" event happening in the Surrey area on the 4th of December, and there are a few events happening on the island in the next couple of weeks as well.

If you are looking for Geocaching.com specific events you should view the upcoming upcoming event calendar.

http://www.geocaching.com/calendar/

I know you would think it would be easier to find on the main page but it is there once you know about it.

Kind of like the cache adoptions page.

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

It is there and a lot of people ask about it but, unless you know, it is hard to find.

Or to find events close to you use the following process. It is a few more steps than using the events calendar but it gives you just the caches around you.

Go to geocaching.com and click on "hide & seek a cache" that is in the column on the left side of the page.

On the page it takes you to, click the "by country" option in the seek a cache area and of course pick Canada

On that page in the first selection box it says "all geocaches" as the default but if you check the choices it provide lots of alternatives including "event cache" ... select that and then ensure that the province selection says British Columbia (Alberta is the default).

Then click on the "seek" button and a list of events in British Columbia will come up... newest is listed first.

I hope that makes sense and that it helps you out. Like I said it is a few more steps than using the calendar but then you get just what is in your province.

:)

Edited by brendah