Palm won't connect to computer

sock-it-2-me

I've been using paperless caching for about a year. I've used my palm and used sync sort about 2 dozen times.

Today, when I push the hot snyc button on the palm sync sort cord, my computer made the usual connection beep sound, and the palm gives the 'connecting with the desktop using cradle/cable' message...

Then I get a message on the palm saying the connection between my device and the desktop could not be established... and it says try again.

So, I tried about 8 times. I rebooted the computer, I have the syncsort icon in the tray and everything appears to be normal, except there is a connection problem. I tried different usb ports, but to no avail.

All this stuff is magic to me, so I'm not sure what to do next.

Any input is appreciated....

Edited by sock-it-2-me

I went to brighthand and registered and posted my question. I go one reply right away. It did not solve my problem per se, but it did give me another ideas, like 'read the manual'....(online). Here is a copy of my reply about the problem... so simple, but I could not have found it without all your help... I had kind of tossed in the towel on this, thinking it might have been a problem that needed a repair to the unit.... anyway, thank you for your notes. I am now back caching paperless.... still don't know how the problem occurred, but it has been resolved.

----------------------------

First, I don't know how this happened. Second, your advice was a big help in keeping me going on this....

I tried the reset, but no joy. I went to the manual online and went to the problem area at the back and something like 'can't sync sort to pc'.

I found my check mark missing (I don't know how it disappeared), and I put a check mark in and it fixed my problem. Thank you for your kindness in replying.. I can now go back to paperless caching....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the HotSync® Manager icon in the Windows taskbar in the lower-right corner of your screen. Make sure Local USB has a checkmark next to it. If not, click it.

I would have told you to check your hotsync manager, but you yourself said that your computer beeped when you pressed the hotsynch button on your cradle so the manager was actaully running, and must have the checkmark already checked.

The beep is windows saying it sees the USB device, not the manager. Edited by John E Cache

The beep is windows saying it sees the USB device, not the manager.

Apples are not oranges. You said, quoted below, that it beeped when you pressed the hotsync button. Not that it beeped when you plugged in the USB cable. In the last case, which you claim is not what you were doing, it's Windows detecting a USB device. In the first case it's hotsync manager detecting a sync request. That first case can't happen if the hotsync manager background process is NOT running as you later calim was the whole brunt of this problem, I won't quote you there.

Today, when I push the hot snyc button on the palm sync sort cord, my computer made the usual connection beep sound, and the palm gives the 'connecting with the desktop using cradle/cable' message...

Good that your problem is solved, enough said.

Edited by trainlove