Garmin Oregon 200 vs. 300 vs. 400 - please help?

AmandaJenna

I have a 10-year old Magellan that I used for hunting and fishing. Old and slow.

I started geocaching with my kids over the weekend. They love it. Spent all weekend (evenings) researching an excuse to get a new GPS. I think I want the Garmin Oregon. I definitely want color, I like the touchscreen, I want to be able to choos which maps I want, topo is very nice (I'm also an adventure racer, and although GPS's are a no-no it would be great for training).

I want it to work well for:

- hunting (mark deer stand, wander around, get back)

- fishing (enter coordinates and go to)

- geocaching (not really sure what I need, sounds like "paperless" geocashing would be nice).

I am a techie-type person, but for the life of me after reading the reviews, specs, etc. on the 3 models (200, 300, 400) I can't find an answer to these questions. Please help.

- Why is the amount of RAM important? They all store the same amount of waypoints and geocaches.

- If the maps come on a separate card, what's the RAM used for?

- If it's important, then I'd conclude the 300 is a better value considering how much more RAM it has for not much more $ (24Mb vs. 850Mb).

- Does the 400 come with built-in maps or does it come with a map card?

- If it's built-in, does that mean I can add a card and have multiple maps available at the same time, i.e

buy the 400t and add a lake map?

- Can I recharge the rechargeable batteries while in the GPS? Why don't they make these things rechargeable??? What a pain. Just like my walkie-talkies, cell phone, etc. I want to just plug it in to charge it.

Basically, why would I buy a 200, 300 or 400 if the map cards are ~$100 each?

Any help to a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

- Why is the amount of RAM important? They all store the same amount of waypoints and geocaches.

More memory gives you the ability to store more map data.

- If the maps come on a separate card, what's the RAM used for?

Either internal memory or external (a card) can be used to store maps.

- If it's important, then I'd conclude the 300 is a better value considering how much more RAM it has for not much more $ (24Mb vs. 850Mb).

Yes, and the 200 has some other limitations that aren't related to memory:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information#toc5

- Does the 400 come with built-in maps or does it come with a map card?

- If it's built-in, does that mean I can add a card and have multiple maps available at the same time, i.e

buy the 400t and add a lake map?

The 400t comes with built in topo maps which are loaded in internal memory freeing up the card slot for other maps (like City Navigator, etc).

- Can I recharge the rechargeable batteries while in the GPS? Why don't they make these things rechargeable??? What a pain. Just like my walkie-talkies, cell phone, etc. I want to just plug it in to charge it.

Nope, they use standard AA's. I actually prefer this for two reasons. The battery is removable (which some batteries aren't) and they are standard sized.

Basically, why would I buy a 200, 300 or 400 if the map cards are ~$100 each?

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information#toc7

GO$Rs

The 400t comes with built in topo maps which are loaded in internal memory freeing up the card slot for other maps (like City Navigator, etc).

The disadvantage of "built in topo maps" is that you will not be able to use/view them on your PC, correct?

Yes...well for now. I've been able to get my Oregon/Colorado topos into mapsource but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get a base map in Mapsource that makes it all work a little better when you are zoomed out. Once I have it figured out I'll post instructions on GPSFix.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

The batteries will not charge in the unit. You need a separate charger.

I bought a 300 because I already had city navigator and garmin topo, it's basically the same thing as the 400 without the preloaded maps.

The 200 does not have an electronic compass or altimeter, but otherwise I think it's the same as the 300 and the 400.

You may want to consider the Delorme Pn-40 on Amazon.com it is an excellent value, comes with preloaded maps both topo and auto navigation, it's much less expensive than the Garmin.

You may want to consider the Delorme Pn-40 on Amazon.com it is an excellent value, comes with preloaded maps both topo and auto navigation, it's much less expensive than the Garmin.

I just read the single review on Amazon and this sounds like a very nice unit. Definitely one I need to consider. One of my main concerns is that, from little I know, geocaching.com will only download info to a Garmin device, so how is the Delorme considered paperless? I think I need to jump to another post for that answer. I sure do wish this was touchscreen, because that is very nice.

Gee.

What great job Garmin does in marketing their thousands of products.

Or of even giving comparisons of various product lines, or of models within one product line.

I think they are using the same Salesmen that Magellan uses, in addition to their seeming to have started to use their Engineers when then designed the Colorado and Oregon.

One of my main concerns is that, from little I know, geocaching.com will only download info to a Garmin device, so how is the Delorme considered paperless?

The button "send to GPS" only works with Garmin, sure.

But programs from Delorme, and such programs as GSAK can send your PQ's to various non-Garmin GPSr's. I'm not exactly sure if the PN-20 & PN-40 have non-Delorme support yet.

Edited by trainlove