Activation codes

Theotokos

I'm just curious... there has been an alarming amount of coin vendors disappearing from the scene and in most cases leaving behind a nasty scar. I really feel bad for those that have been ripped off and I hope it all works out one way or another.

I have a question though that is an off-shoot of the loss of these coins and money. What will happen to all those activation codes that these vendors were carrying on their site? I used to go grab the activation code when I got a new coin but it was way too much work for me as I was always falling behind - so I stopped. Now I'm concerned that with the vendors seeming to be skipping out, the activation site they may have been maintaining will also disappear. In cases like this, will we still be able to get our activation codes from GS?

Edited by Theotokos

Just a pure guess but I would imagine Groundspeak would have all the activation codes if they were needed.

Maybe they wouldn't get a lot of requests but I was wondering if they were prepared for the potential of many requests.

I guess that's why they charge $1.50 per tracking number - to pay for the activation code call center they need to open up! :laughing:

Maybe that $1.50 can go to faster servers or something..sheesh

Edited by Theotokos

Just a pure guess but I would imagine Groundspeak would have all the activation codes if they were needed.

Precisely what I was thinking and am praying. I, too, stopped retrieving codes on coins I was not activating.

Anyone out there have the answer to this query?

GS has to have them, I'm just not sure how much trouble it is to get them? Is it as simple as the activation code sites that you type in a number and get it back or will GS have to build something to retrieve codes on request? Since we have to activate a coin on the site, they are loaded in a database somehwere. I just wasn't sure if it was easy to retrieve or immediate?

Groundspeak does have the activation codes for all trackable items. I could not find nor get an answer from one particular coin seller in Europe (tried over a month) and Groundspeak gave me the code for the coin. It I were you I would start getting all of the codes for your coins and putting them on paper and back them up on your computer for later reference. (I already did in fact).