Found a bug that was in an Unknown Location

whartonia

The last time it was seen was in 2006 in Wyoming. I found it today in Florida. It was not listed as being in the cache. It showed UNKNOWN LOCATION. The TB is a replacement from the original and has the COPY tag on it. I couldn't find any spot in the logs where the owner dropped the replacement. I logged it with a GRABBED IT. Hope that was the correct thing to do.

Kind of excited that I could move along a bug that has been missing for 2 years.

The last time it was seen was in 2006 in Wyoming. I found it today in Florida. It was not listed as being in the cache. It showed UNKNOWN LOCATION. The TB is a replacement from the original and has the COPY tag on it. I couldn't find any spot in the logs where the owner dropped the replacement. I logged it with a GRABBED IT. Hope that was the correct thing to do.

Kind of excited that I could move along a bug that has been missing for 2 years.

Hi There. 2nd things first... it's likely that it was dropped on Nov 12 from the cache log... but not logged as dropped... two tb's dropped by the owner but not named.. or logged there. Just a possible.

I see the Wyoming was logged as what looks like a 'discover' but logged as taken to BC. No activity on the cacher since then... I am going to have a look at the local clubs sites... they may not be active here, but might be somewhere. Glad to see someone else seems to care.

Doug

Good job.

Though it shows that some people can be too fast in originally assuming that their bug is missing. I have 2 bugs that are 'missing' now for about 2 years, perhaps next year I'll mark then as in an Unknown Location, but on eis actually in the possession of the person who 'stole' it.

Try changing the tbs name to "STOLEN TB" you will either see it placed in a cache or it will make no difference. I have heard of some people having their tbs and geocoins re-released into the wild after they did this.

Hi There. 2nd things first... it's likely that it was dropped on Nov 12 from the cache log... but not logged as dropped... two tb's dropped by the owner but not named.. or logged there. Just a possible.

I see the Wyoming was logged as what looks like a 'discover' but logged as taken to BC. No activity on the cacher since then... I am going to have a look at the local clubs sites... they may not be active here, but might be somewhere. Glad to see someone else seems to care.

Doug

Good sleuthing! I will remember to check the TB's owner's cache finds before jumping to assumptions. The TB's owner was caching here in FL and found the cache 8 days before I did. He logged that he took 2 bugs and dropped 2 bugs. One of them he logged into the cache. The other, his own replacement bug, he did not log into the cache. Sadly, I did not find a long lost bug.

Edited by whartonia

Doug

Good sleuthing! I will remember to check the TB's owner's cache finds before jumping to assumptions. The TB's owner was caching here in FL and found the cache 8 days before I did. He logged that he took 2 bugs and dropped 2 bugs. One of them he logged into the cache. The other, his own replacement bug, he did not log into the cache. Sadly, I did not find a long lost bug.

Hi Again... thanks, but it wasn't to hard yet... You are correct that a little 'sleuthing' can soothe the nerves though... Up here it's winter, and a little puzzle now and then means something cache related to do... I'm fairly new to caching, but have interest and a skill set that is growing... plus being nosey.

I have to go back to the Wyoming site to reexamine that, but my first impression was that a student has picked up the original without doing more than leaving a note... but I seem to recall it in his inventory... again I have to check more... however his last visit to GC.com was in 2006... perhaps he is busy with school or something... the original may have been placed somewhere without 'dropping'... quite a few caches up this way can sit for months without a visitor... and they don't always log things or even pay attention to TBs as TBs. Another thing is that not everyone who caches uses GC.com some don't use any organization at all. I've been looking for a local (perhaps a school age) who picked up a TB without logging it... but I'm hopeful I will find some evidence as to who it is... eventually they may come here and log or at least register, or I may find an in cache log that gives them an ID beyond the caching name... It's just the territory... no blame, just information... and few ulcers.

Nice to chat.. Doug

Good job.

Though it shows that some people can be too fast in originally assuming that their bug is missing. I have 2 bugs that are 'missing' now for about 2 years, perhaps next year I'll mark then as in an Unknown Location, but on eis actually in the possession of the person who 'stole' it.

No. Missing location is the proper place for a bug that is listed in a cache but that is definitely not there. We found one, in New Jersey, that had disappeared from a cache in Florida a year earlier. I've had to mark several as 'missing' because they are not in the cache kisted. They are 'missing'. That is not to mention those picked up by newbies who quit caching shortly thereafter. But those are not missing. We know where they are. :unsure: