What type memory works in the Oregon?

Yno

At the advice of a salesman (I know, shame on me!) I bought a SanDisk 4 gig micro SDHC card. It appears to lock up the Oregon (300, software 2.6). Is the HC type not compatible? I have not seen anything bigger than 1 gig that isn't HC locally.

The unit is fine once I take the card out. I am at work, so I could only do a brief search - sorry if this has been answered.

Things are working fine now with a 2 gig SD. I received this reply for Garmin when I asked them:

I am sorry that the retail store suggested that to you. What you are needing is a standard (non-HC) 2GB or 4GB micro SD card and you should be fine. In fact to test this take the card you have out of the device and the GPS should boot up fine. Once you get a standard card you should be fine.

I guess 2 gig is a fair amount. I loaded have the US and part of Canada and it only took 700 MB. And my 76CSX cam with a 128 MB card!

I just put in a sandisk 8gb class 4 sdhc card and it is fine also. Maybe you have a bad card or it's not seated correctly in the slot.
As the Garmin tech said, the units are not designed to work with sdhc cards. Some newer card seem to run, but it is hit and miss. If you have an sdhc card that works, count yourself lucky. If you are buying a card, I would stay away from sdhc for these unis.