New GPS arriving Tomorrow!

ruthny

I am finally getting a GPS, a new Garmin Vista Hcx, arriving tomorrow. Yes, I will of course begin by reading the manual and experimenting with the various functions, but in addition to that, what should my next steps be in exploring and setting up this new piece of equipment? I use a Mac so I'd love to know what will work for me and what won't, in terms of software. And yes, I will eventually add Premium Membership, but what functions of Geocaching.com will be beneficial to me before I do so, and how do I access them?

I have been diligently reading the many threads on this board, but until they actually apply to me, I find them to be more theory than actually being information I can process. I imagine once I have the (very expensive) new toy in hand, much of the information offered here will begin to fall into place (much like a puzzle cache...) but I'd love it if I could get some new GPS/Mac advice in the plainest language possible.

I'm totally clueless with a GPS, but a very experienced Mac User! Thanks for your time!

I don't run a Mac, but you should go to the Garmin webpage, select Support->Updates and Downloads, and there's a link to Mac software. Don't know what it is, but sounds useful. I remember seeing many threads in here about Mac software. After that, you'll also want to make sure your GPSr has the latest software-firmware, which is available from the same Garmin webpage. Oh, and register the GPSr too. Set up, run and install whatever map or trip/waypoint manager software you get (you did get a map product, right??). When you first power up the GPSr, it might take a while to find itself...that's ok and it should get faster. I'm probably missing something, but after all this, it should be fun from there on!

Cache on!

First thing I always do is buy one of these: http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/garmin...ins-shields.php

Gotta protect that screen.

Sadly, I must agree. My '60 is less than two months old, and last weekend, I had it around my neck on the lanyard when I had to squeeze past some sharp rocks on a narrow ledge. It now bears a nice big scratch on the screen. Sure, it still works, and I can pretend that its just a "battle scar", but the truth is that I do wish the screen was unscathed. The Invisi-shield is cheap insurance.

I am finally getting a GPS, a new Garmin Vista Hcx, arriving tomorrow. Yes, I will of course begin by reading the manual and experimenting with the various functions, but in addition to that, what should my next steps be in exploring and setting up this new piece of equipment? I use a Mac so I'd love to know what will work for me and what won't, in terms of software. And yes, I will eventually add Premium Membership, but what functions of Geocaching.com will be beneficial to me before I do so, and how do I access them?

I have been diligently reading the many threads on this board, but until they actually apply to me, I find them to be more theory than actually being information I can process. I imagine once I have the (very expensive) new toy in hand, much of the information offered here will begin to fall into place (much like a puzzle cache...) but I'd love it if I could get some new GPS/Mac advice in the plainest language possible.

I'm totally clueless with a GPS, but a very experienced Mac User! Thanks for your time!

I agree with the other posts you should get a Invisibleshield and some duracell

I'd suggest the Garmin case (about $10) and some NiMH, preferably the hybrid / low self discharge types like Eneloops and others.

For now you can install the drivers and the "Send to GPS" plugin for your Mac (search Garmin for links). I'd also recommend updating the firmware. Other software I use are PC specific so won't help you here.

Edited by Chrysalides

Do I need to buy a base maps AND an update, or does one of the new updates cover me?

Basemap is already loaded. You can get detailed street maps, and detailed topo maps. With the streetmaps, you can "autoroute" to locations. I will let the experts chime in as to which maps to get. The updates they are talking about are free from Garmin. They do not update the maps, just the operating software.

The first thing I did with mine was to put batteries in it. (Like Geraldine, the devil made me say that).

Go to the Garmin website and download the pdf file for the user's manual for the Vista C (a discontinued model). That manual is more complete than the manual that comes with the newer units and the functions are the same.

While you are at the Garmin website, download and install WebUpdater, N-Route and POI loader. Use WebUpdater to update to the current versions (Firmware 2.80 and Chipset 2.80).

Re: maps--let me try to clarify my original question--

I understand that there is basic mapping software already installed on the GPSr. For detailed street maps, do I just purchase the "2009 Update?"

Please keep the advice coming. You are all giving me exactly what I am looking for!!

Re: maps--let me try to clarify my original question--

I understand that there is basic mapping software already installed on the GPSr. For detailed street maps, do I just purchase the "2009 Update?"

Please keep the advice coming. You are all giving me exactly what I am looking for!!

No, you can't buy an update for the basemap. It's just highways and major roads, and they don't change much. You can get additional maps, which overlay (but do not update) the basemap. I'd suggest City Navigator, if you want to use the GPS for auto navigation.

Edited by Prime Suspect

We're still hung up on semantics, but getting closer!

Do I need to buy City Navigator AND City Navigator 2009 (or 2008 if I prefer) OR can I just purchase 2009 or 2008 free standing?

No, you can't buy an update for the basemap. It's just highways and major roads, and they don't change much. You can get additional maps, which overlay (but do not update) the basemap. I'd suggest City Navigator, if you want to use the GPS for auto navigation.

Edited by ruthny

Do I need to buy City Navigator AND City Navigator 2009 (or 2008 if I prefer) OR can I just purchase 2009 or 2008 free standing?

Do not buy anything labeled "update". Buy the free standing one. The current version is 2009. That's what you'll get if you buy it from a dealer who goes through a lot of product. You can use either the NT version or the non-NT version.

The NT version is stored compressed on the unit, so it takes up less space on your memory card. Also it is broken into fewer pieces (segments) than the non-NT version, so the NT segments cover more area each.. This is important if you think you may try to load topo maps along with street maps.

That’s because there are two limits on what you can load in the receiver: 1) a size (2 GB) limit, and 2) 2025 total number of map segments. People who load topo maps often hit the segment limit before they hit the size limit.

All of CNNA NT 2009 has 64 segments and takes about 1.1 MB. All of the non-NT CNNA 2009 has 344 segments and takes about 1.75 MB. Obviously, either of these by itself will fit; but if you start loading topo maps, you will be able to load more if you use the NT version of CN.

A possible downside to the NT maps is that some have experienced lags when using NT. Others have no problems.

... It won't work worth a nickle until you let it download a full set of almanac data from the satellited.

Can someone explain this please? Thanks.

Almanac data is information about the GPS satellites (time correction, active status, etc.) that the unit has to have in order to calculate its location. Each satellite transmits data for all the satellites, which is why it takes a while to get all the data.

... It won't work worth a nickle until you let it download a full set of almanac data from the satellited.

That post had me reading up more on GPS technology.

I found something here : http://gpsinformation.net/main/almanac.txt

I'm still not convinced that with a high sensitivity receiver you need to set it out for 1/2 hour to learn about the world - 2 minutes seem like how long it took to give me a good fix from fresh startup, and I have only average view of the sky - but I freely admit my lack of knowledge in the technology.

Edited by Chrysalides

I found Web Updater, and downloaded it, but have yet to locate N-Route and POI Loader

The first thing I did with mine was to put batteries in it. (Like Geraldine, the devil made me say that).

Go to the Garmin website and download the pdf file for the user's manual for the Vista C (a discontinued model). That manual is more complete than the manual that comes with the newer units and the functions are the same.

While you are at the Garmin website, download and install WebUpdater, N-Route and POI loader. Use WebUpdater to update to the current versions (Firmware 2.80 and Chipset 2.80).

That post had me reading up more on GPS technology.

I found something here : http://gpsinformation.net/main/almanac.txt

I'm still not convinced that with a high sensitivity receiver you need to set it out for 1/2 hour to learn about the world - 2 minutes seem like how long it took to give me a good fix from fresh startup, and I have only average view of the sky - but I freely admit my lack of knowledge in the technology.

What type of receiver it has is irrelevant. Almanac data is generally good for weeks or even months. But we were talking about a brand new GPS. Unless it has that data, it's simply not going to work. It's what tells the GPS what satellites to look for, and which ones to ignore.

Have a short look in the manual.

Learn about waypoints and tracks. set tracklog on.

Make a short walk

Load your recorded track in Mapsource

Change the tack a bit

Try to trackback