New to Benchmarking

mm_dancer

We took a trip to syracuse to do some caching, and as there are no benchmarks in our area we decided to hit one to get the icon on our found list.

So my question is, the benchmark shows on my found list but did not add to my total find count.

Why does it do this? Is it suppose to count as a find? Or are they just there for another type of hunt?

Thanks for answering my questions!

mm_dancer

So my question is, the benchmark shows on my found list but did not add to my total find count.

Benchmark hunting is just another game, well kind of. It can be only another game or, if you find benchmarks which have not been found in a while, you could actually help out the NGS and report your findings. They do not add to your find count because they are not caches. There are millions of survey marks all over the country (world) but gc only has a list from the NGS (which if I remember correctly is a few years outdated). Hope this helps.

Howdy mm_dancer,

Welcome to the wonderful world of benchmark hunting.

Benchmarks are a category all to themselves and you can start racking up a total for them just like caches.

Here is a section of our "My Account" page so you can see the separate listing for "Benchmarks".

70436778-5f53-4f88-b4dc-564efc93332a.jpg

Then if you click on any of the names in this forum and then click on their benchmarks found, you will see just how many finds/notes/dnf etc. they have. It can get to be addicting.

Good hunting!

Shirley~

Hi

I took a look at your log for OF0281. The picture that elsa57 uploaded on the log is not a picture of the benchmark OF0281. OF0281 should have stamped on it "E 111 RESET 1965".

Not Gaging Station, like the mark you found. What you found isn't the benchmark.

If you look at the picture of the 1st log for that mark made by Team Position Police you will see what the benchmark looks like.

Jo Ann