Advice about Mac friendly GPS

Merge!

Hey everyone. So, I am in the market to upgrade my GPS. Currently, I have an Etrex, basic model. I am very excited about upgrading to a much more powerful device. I primarily use a Mac, so I am looking for a unit that is compatible with a Mac, and has Mac software designed for it. My budget is no more than $400. Here are my criteria:

1. Truly paperless caching

2. Mac friendly

3. High sensitivity (won't lose signal in a forest)

4. Decent Mapping capabilities

5. Possible use as a car GPS

The DeLorme seems to fill all of the above, except the Mac friendly bit, and that is a huge factor for me, so it seems I will have to go with a Garmin. In that respect, it seems that the Oregon would be the model for me. But, possibly any of these models:

60CSx

Oregon 200

Oregon 300

One of the Colorados?

Vista HCx

Or maybe DeLorme after all (but the lack of Mac software seems like a deal breaker)

Now for the questions:

In terms of geocaching, does anyone know why I would choose the Oregon 300 over the 200?

I seem to be reading that most people dont use the electronic compass for geocaching, so why would I want the 300?

How hard is it to view the Oregon screen in daylight? I am a real techie, and am used to using a smartphone in the daylight, or using the iPod Touch (with screen protector) in daylight.

Any clue if there is a firmware update in the pipeline which will add the ability to increase or decrease brightness?

Would I want the 60CSx over the Oregon?

The Colorado over the Oregon?

Or does someone want to try and sell me on the DeLorme inspite of lack of Mac compatibility (BootCamp or Fusion is not an option).

Is there a different model I am forgetting?

Any and all comments are welcome. I hope I was thorough, as I tried to be.

Thanks!

Edited by Merge!

I'm working with a Mac (OS X) using a Garmin Oregon 00 and "pure" pocket queries as I receive them by email

I do not need another sowftware and I'm happy with that configuration for paperless geocaching.

I can use Garmin Bobcat working with the garmin maps on the Mac, managing waypoints, etc. and the webupdater also is available for the Mac.

I also have a 60CSx, but since I've an Oregon I not longer use it for caching.

I'm working with a Mac (OS X) using a Garmin Oregon 00 and "pure" pocket queries as I receive them by email

I do not need another sowftware and I'm happy with that configuration for paperless geocaching.

I can use Garmin Bobcat working with the garmin maps on the Mac, managing waypoints, etc. and the webupdater also is available for the Mac.

Which version of the Oregon are you using? Do I really want the electronic compass for geocaching, which is included with 300, but not 200? Thanks!

If it's any consolation; DeLorme is working towards greater Mac connectivity. They may, or may not

have the level of functionality that you require by the time you're ready to purchase.

I, too, long for pristine interface, but I'll have to wait, but not having a GPSr isn't the way I want to wait.

PN-40 is booked, I'll move along w/the emulation kludge 'till I don't have to. I'd rather have a couple more

steps once in a while than have a unit that was swept into view hurriedly to meet some sort of deadline for

Christmas market share a year ago, and is still bugged out(Garmin wise the CO suits me better than the OR).

So, if you're patient, DeLorme may not be out of the frame, then again maybe it is, just be aware that DeLorme

does have an interest in the Mac market.They just might show some fruit of their labors sooner than later.

DeLorme just needs to cut the time between 'talkin' and showin'' set by Garmin, I certainly hope so. By my count

producing anything in the next 2 years qualifies for "beatin' feat".

Norm

Which version of the Oregon are you using? Do I really want the electronic compass for geocaching, which is included with 300, but not 200? Thanks!

I own a Oregon 300. I recomend an electronic compass for geocaching!

Otherwise the GPS can not show the direction to the Cache if you are not moving (ex. you are near the cache, thinking where i is).

Edited by bonstetten

If it's any consolation; DeLorme is working towards greater Mac connectivity. They may, or may not

have the level of functionality that you require by the time you're ready to purchase.

I had one of their map programs a few years ago (Before things like Mapquest and Google Maps), and it was a good product........ Then they decided Mac wasn't worth it, leaving folks high and dry. Sadly being a Mac person that has made me very distrustful of them (and a couple of non-related vendors) ever since.

Rick

Edited by rstickle

I had one of their map programs a few years ago (Before things like Mapquest and Google Maps), and it was a good product........ Then they decided Mac wasn't worth it, leaving folks high and dry. Sadly being a Mac person that has made me very distrustful of them (and a couple of non-related vendors) ever since.

Rick

Right, the DeLorme / Garmin situation reminds me of BlackBerry / iPhone. Basically, the BlackBerry does everything, and it does it pretty well, but the interface is clunky, and Mac support is terrible. I don't have first hand experience with DeLorme, but it seems to be the same situation. The DeLorme seems very powerful, but the interface seems a bit dated, and the software convoluted.

On the other hand, the Garmin Oregon is a touchscreen interface, and comes with easy to use Mac friendly software, just like the iPhone. Simplicity, streamlined and ultra-modern. It may not be as powerful as the DeLorme, but it does it's job very well, and is great looking and easy to use.

This is just like the iPhone. The iPhone revolutionized smartphones, and although it can't do some of the things as well as the BlackBerry can (push email, GPS navigation), it is leaps and bounds ahead in GUI design, and usability.

Am I right? Can anyone speak to the ease of use with the Oregon compared to the DeLorme? I would be willing to get the DeLorme and use it on a PC laptop, but I really like the interface of the Oregon, and would love to use my Mac. Ease of use is a big factor too...in terms of using it in the field, and loading geocaches to device. I'm a total gadget geek. I hated my Blackberry because of its poorly thought out design, and lack of intuitive software. On the other hand, the iPhone is just so easy to use, and really changed the face of the smartphone industry. This is how the DeLorme / Oregon comparison seems.

I don't mean to disparage the DeLorme, because it looks like an astounding device, and I'm seriously contemplating it. Just stating my opinion. An opinion based on what I've seen and read, as I've never held either the DeLorme or the Oregon.

Edited by Merge!

This may sound snob, but the way I feel any more a company that cant support mac makes me some times question the tech savvy of the Product/company, and how deep the talent maybe. Mac has market share now that needs to be addressed its not like it was, say as early as 4 to 6 years ago. I will stay away from the Delorme line.

Over the last couple of years with the purchase of my gadgets and electronics I have used this philosophy if they can't support Mac I will buy the competitors. This has served me well it seems I end up with a more comprehensive and complete unit.

Am I right?

I can see and understand your analogy, but it's not quite that simple. Whereas the iPhone software works,

and the Garmin, . . . well, . . . could use some "spit and polish".

On the interface issues, well that's not exactly how it is either, not that one is "clunky", and the other not,

they're just different. I think they each have there own hierarchy philosophy. No matter which way one

chooses to go, ya gotta "pick your poison". If nothing meshes seamlessly w/Mac, than I'll go with what's

seeming to have the least bugs, and shows me that the company is willing to work w/the customer.

Garmin's C/S is doing backflips and hiring "freshies" that may or may not have a working knowledge of

the product, resulting in some individuals having to call multiple times, and then there may be issues with

'issues' being documented. DeLorme on the other hand has a policy of "beta" testing before release, and will

communicate directly w/customer, they're tech. reps. will hand off to a more knowledgeable representative

w/out begging them. I'm thinking that DeLorme's customer service are more akin to technologists, where

Garmin's are more like technicians. All of the above is my personal take on the market presently, and is

subjective, feel free to disagree.

Norm

This may sound snob, but the way I feel any more a company that cant support mac makes me some times question the tech savvy of the Product/company, and how deep the talent maybe. Mac has market share now that needs to be addressed its not like it was, say as early as 4 to 6 years ago. I will stay away from the Delorme line.

Over the last couple of years with the purchase of my gadgets and electronics I have used this philosophy if they can't support Mac I will buy the competitors. This has served me well it seems I end up with a more comprehensive and complete unit.

DeLorme is actively developing Macintosh connectivity, they may not be at the same level as Garmin at the

moment, . . . but . . . active. I'm thinking that they will show "fruit" on a shorter timeline than did

Garmin. It took them(Garmin) what . . . three years to "throw the bone" after the press release?

DeLorme on the other hand, "plays a little closer to the chest", wisely so methinks, so as to observe,

and capitalize on the decisions observed of others. Did I mention that there is an Mac. community within

DeLorme that is lobbying to our favor, not quite an "ace in the hole", but every little bit helps.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

On further note concerning customer service :

I had the pleasure of meeting Brian at the local (to me) REI, just this past Friday.

I got the impression that the employees have an inner passion, not just a "9-5 grind",

"Git 'em out by Friday" mentality, that speaks allot.

Brian was able to quote from some of my posts, and knew my changing sig., that shows that

they are watching the marketplace from many vantage-points not just their own forum.

DeLorme is small, bigger than a "cottage industry", but still small, enough so, to be "in touch",

and to know their constituents.

Working for a small Public Utility owned railroad I have a fair idea of customer service.

If a customer calls and has a special request(for a "switch"), we do what we can to "make it so".

Unlike some of the 'big guns' that can have the attitude "You'll take what we give ya and like it".

Our kind of service calls for a level commitment from the 'inside' that I sense from DeLorme,

so I've spoken w/my $, and here as well.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

DeLorme is actively developing Macintosh connectivity, they may not be at the same level as Garmin at the

moment, . . . but . . . active. I'm thinking that they will show "fruit" on a shorter timeline than did

Garmin. It took them(Garmin) what . . . three years to "throw the bone" after the press release?

DeLorme on the other hand, "plays a little closer to the chest", wisely so methinks, so as to observe,

and capitalize on the decisions observed of others. Did I mention that there is an Mac. community within

DeLorme that is lobbying to our favor, not quite an "ace in the hole", but every little bit helps.

Norm

If only there was some sort of timeline, that would definitely help me make a decision, otherwise I'll be buying the Oregon. But the Earthmate sure is appealing. I do agree with garylost, in that a company which doesn't support Macs in this day and age seems a bit backwards. Probably the main reason I loathed my Blackberry when I had one, it was just garbage when using with a Mac.

It's good to hear that DeLorme is actively developing native Mac support, but the more important question is, is it simply vaporware at this point?

Edited by Merge!

Probably the main reason I loathed my Blackberry when I had one, it was just garbage when using with a Mac.

It's good to hear that DeLorme is actively developing native Mac support, but the more important question is, is it simply vaporware at this point?

I found the same to be true using a Palm LifeDrive, and TomTon Nav5, which was "supposedly" a Mac

friendly application.

When the 'Team' checks in there will no doubt be some sort of response regarding timelines.

Brian was pointedly optimistic from a "geocaching" standpoint. Mapping is somewhat nebulas at this time.

Norm

Well ... the folks @ DeLorme are at least talking with we who use Macs ... to me that is a pretty big step. yes it is frustrating that we Mac-o-philes are .........

I use the Vista HCx with a Mac and it just works. I haven't seen any other brands that did, hopefully that will change as one should have choices.

But the Vista HCx doesn't offer paperless caching, correct? I'm looking for an all-in-one solution. The closest thing, which is Mac compatible would be the Oregon or the Colorado. After reading about all of the Colorado issues, I'm leaning towards the Oregon. Plus it is touchscreen.

But, once again, the DeLorme PN-40 truly does it all with its maps, but it is not Mac compatible (native). Does anyone know if the PN-40 GPSr chipset is better than the Oregon?

Also, any word on the Nuvifone? That would truly be the all-in-one I am looking for. Download caches OTA. perfect!

I use the Vista HCx with a Mac and it just works. I haven't seen any other brands that did, hopefully that will change as one should have choices.

But the Vista HCx doesn't offer paperless caching, correct? I'm looking for an all-in-one solution. The closest thing, which is Mac compatible would be the Oregon or the Colorado. After reading about all of the Colorado issues, I'm leaning towards the Oregon. Plus it is touchscreen.

Well, if you want Mac compatibility, then have you considered the iPhone 3G and the Groundspeak Geocaching App? I have that combo, but I have not used it for finding any caches yet.

I have a Colorado 300, and a MacBook Pro notebook. The combination does seem to work acceptably together, although I also have Windows loaded (Boot Camp) because of my work, so I tend to do most of my Geocaching related activities under Windows using GSAK.

I do know someone who uses Macs and has both a Colorado 400t, and an Oregon 300. He gets along just fine using that combination, although he doesn't really do any off-line cache management any more like he used to do when he used Windows & GSAK. He mainly downloads a PQ before he goes out caching and just drops the PQ file(s) directly on the GPSr. The newest City Navigator map software is available in Windows and Mac variants, so with that you don't need a Windows PC to convert your maps for you..

What are you looking for in compatibility that you are concerned about in the CO/OR lines?