Colorado or Oregon?

I agree that the Oregon is a much better designed unit.

Apparently the latest firmware fixes the CO's drift problem but it still has major issues with not being waterproof.

And, IMO, the user interface on the OR is so much better. For data entry, the entire alphabet is available on a single touch screen. No rotating back and forth trying to find the right letters.

And using the map screen is great for caching. You can "touch" the icon and read the cache description and GO to it.

What is the differance between Oregon 400t & Oregon 300? other than the 400 t having preloaded topo maps.

I was reading on another board that the 400t will not let you download maps to a pc? But the 300, you can load the latest topo mapsource program and you basically now have the 400t and you able to download maps to your pc. I that true?? Thanks

I think the 400t has more available memory than the 300.

I assume you are stating you cannot download the topo maps FROM the 400t into a PC. I think that is correct.

To the best of my knowledge you can load other maps into both units.

I have the 300. I have the City Navigator NT microSD card in the unit and I load a 3rd party set of Ontario Topo maps into the memory on the 300. Works great. I have several profiles set up to make use of different map combos.

The Oregon is a great unit, works like a charm.

The Colorado is a real turkey that's probably being phased out because it is so problematic! Garmin is offering deep discounts to help dump their existing stock!

:)

Sorry for your bad experience but I rather like my Colorado and find it to be reliable since the latest upgrades. The Garmin guy I know says the rumor of it being phased out is just that - rumor and not true.

The Oregon is a great unit, works like a charm.

The Colorado is a real turkey that's probably being phased out because it is so problematic! Garmin is offering deep discounts to help dump their existing stock!

:)

Sorry for your bad experience but I rather like my Colorado and find it to be reliable since the latest upgrades. The Garmin guy I know says the rumor of it being phased out is just that - rumor and not true.

Can you ask him about the status of the new back cover? A friend got a beta version and was less than impressed with it.

What is the differance between Oregon 400t & Oregon 300? other than the 400 t having preloaded topo maps.

I was reading on another board that the 400t will not let you download maps to a pc? But the 300, you can load the latest topo mapsource program and you basically now have the 400t and you able to download maps to your pc. I that true?? Thanks

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information#toc7

GO$Rs

With Oregon 300 does the auto routing and turn by turn still function if I install Mapsource topo 2008?

Auto routing works on the 300 just as it does on other Garmin units. If the map product supports auto routing, then the 300 will do it.

I am not sure the topo supports auto routing.

From the sounds of it the 400t will not autoroute becuase of the TOPO But on the 300 you have some options like City Navigator or some other 3rd party software. The 300 it comes pre loaded with a base map will that allow you to autoroute or do you have to purchase City Navigator to do this? Iam mainly going to use this device for Geocahing. Thanks!

Topo does not support autorouting (on either unit). You need something like City Navigator 2008 NA NT if you are looking for autorouting maps in North America.

GO$Rs

IIRC, the 24K Topo, and the National Parks Topo maps do have the data needed for routing, but the 100K Topo maps included in the 400t or the Topo 2008 DVD do not have the capability for routing. Not trying to muddy the waters, but trying to be accurate...

From the sounds of it the 400t will not autoroute becuase of the TOPO But on the 300 you have some options like City Navigator or some other 3rd party software. The 300 it comes pre loaded with a base map will that allow you to autoroute or do you have to purchase City Navigator to do this? Iam mainly going to use this device for Geocahing. Thanks!

Actually, you can add the City Navigator maps to the 300 or to the 400t either one. It is the City Navigator maps that have the required information to do the auto routing (glossing over the 24K Topo, and National Parks Topo maps which are special cases). The 300 comes with a basemap that allows for auto routing, but it has so little details that it is almost worthless. I do not know for sure, but I believe that the same data is supposed to be included in the 400t, but as I do not have access to one I can't verify that for you.