October Statistics

holograph

Hi, Jim,

It's always interesting to see how the maps are filling in. Thanks for tracking our progress. I notice that they finally posted a multi-county string from a trip I made to Wilmington, several months ago.

If things are slow from North Carolina, it's because NCGS recently uncovered some fresh clues to the locations of our "State Treasures"--meridian markers 80 to 100 years old. The unexplained lull at NGS was an opportunity to focus attention on a local project:

http://www.ncgs.state.nc.us/st/State_TreasureS.html

Amateurs and pro's, alike, are searching each of our 100 counties for granite and marble markers, in locations which have changed considerably since the last recovery. It's quite a challenge, but it also is enjoyable--thanks to the creative folks at NCGS who patterned the search like the movie, "National Treasure", and who supply lots of encouragement.

I find and log a "standard" benchmark occasionally. So hopefully, NC's numbers will not stagnate, completely. Kyle is still out there, somewhere. And I'm trying to get NewEyes back on board. Meanwhile, there's always the group of champion cache hunters who can't pass up a benchmark when they see a witness post! :-)

-Paul-

Jim,

It's great to see the NGS almost all caught up with their datasheet updates and your resulting newest maps and stats! Seven counties changed color from my recoveries, including the last one(Dukes) with no previous recoveries in MA. It was a busy time! Thanks again for so graphically showing us all how we are doing!!

Yes again thanks.

I see my numbers are more correct and Maybe I will color NM red one of these days and have caught up with Az.

If I only lived there it would be red.

It is a much better hunting ground,warmer temperatures Enchanted Lands...I am about to talk myself into moving back now.

Thanks again holo

HMMmmm! Several white (blank) counties in NM...none in AZ.

I might have to do something about that.

Thanks, GEO, for bringing this to my attention!

Yes again thanks.

I see my numbers are more correct and Maybe I will color NM red one of these days and have caught up with Az.

If I only lived there it would be red.

It is a much better hunting ground,warmer temperatures Enchanted Lands...I am about to talk myself into moving back now.

Thanks again holo

HMMmmm! Several white (blank) counties in NM...none in AZ.

I might have to do something about that.

Thanks, GEO, for bringing this to my attention!

There are some cool places just like Az.

The Mogollon Rim is awesome.

I have some major ones I want to get top the top of again someday.

Kings Crown for one.

No NGS but I think I remember a Stone Cairn.

Well NM that is but here is one from 1899 in AZ you have not got to yet..

Kings Crown

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

Thanks again, holograph. I haven't had much opportunity to be out lately--too much going on at home. I see one of "my" northern Wisconsin counties has now been colored in. I had planned a fast trip this summer to add color to two counties, but it didn't work out due to scheduling and high gas prices. Only one is still white.

I'm also curious who else is actively benchmarking now in western Upper Michigan! There's a lot of color in the "recent" map. Hmm...