Warcaft and Geocaching a comparison

ThePachecos

I was wondering if any of you have seen a comparison being made between World of Warcraft to Geocaching. I started playing WoW when it first came out and during that time I enjoyed the game a lot. It was the act of discovering a world that I had never been to. I enjoyed logging into wow and getting my mission objectives and then using thottbot.com to find the coordinates and by using a plugin for WoW I would use the coordinates to home in on the spot in the world and it would get me really close to my objective. I would search for awhile and then I would find my treasure and return to the quest giver and he would give me some useless trinket that I would either trade or sell for something nicer. I got tired of the game the day they started marking my objectives with little glow dust. My wife found out about this game and I suddenly started to call it WOG or World of Geocrafting. I essentially do the exact same thing except now I log on to the website, I get my mission objectives and I get in the car and head out in search of a treasure, sometimes I get something good or bad or nothing but every hunt is enjoyable because I discover someplace new. Have any of you Warcrafters noticed this or is it just me?

I didn't realize they didn't used to mark the objects with little glow dust... :anicute:

Yeah, we've noticed similarities too, we both play and also use the coordinates and Thottbot and reading-the-map systems to zoom in on our in-game goals. When we first started geocaching I remember jokingly remarking, "This is just like doing a quest on World of Warcraft!" :D

My 19 year old son plays WOW. He spends 12-14 hours a day playing. He has lost several jobs and lives like a pig. Empty food containers, soda cans, and dirty clothes everywhere. The more time he spends playing, the worse his RL world gets.

I geocache. I have been known to spend 12-14 hours a day playing. I began a new career because of contacts and experiences I got while caching (land surveying). I am in better shape at 40 than I was at 35. Between geocaching and motorcycling, my life has far more color than it has for years.

Eduted fer spellin.

Edited by Okiebryan

My 19 year old son plays WOW. He spends 12-14 hours a day playing. He has lost several jobs and lives like a pig. Empty food containers, soda cans, and dirty clothes everywhere. The more time he spends playing, the worse his RL world gets.

I geocache. I have been known to spend 12-14 hours a day playing. I began a new career because of contacts and experiences I got while caching (land surveying). I am in better shape at 40 than I was at 35. Between geocaching and motorcycling, my life has far more color than it has for years.

Eduted fer spellin.

show him how geocaching is like wow and you may be abe to get him out of his room.

Eduted fer spellin.

show him how geocaching is like wow and you may be abe to get him out of his room.

I've tried. He is all about maximum reward/minimum effort. Caching seems too much like work to him. The only currency I've found to motivate him is cutting off the internet or not letting his GF come over to my house. He's been within an inch of living in his car several times, and his mother won't let him live with her anymore because he's such a pig.

He wasn't this bad until he got into WOW.

Edited by Okiebryan

Eduted fer spellin.

I've tried. He is all about maximum reward/minimum effort. Caching seems too much like work to him. The only currency I've found to motivate him is cutting off the internet or not letting his GF come over to my house. He's been within an inch of living in his car several times, and his mother won't let him live with her anymore because he's such a pig.

He wasn't this bad until he got into WOW.

It can be very much like an addiction. I played WoW for a long time and the pull is almost like a drug. I was lucky to find my wife in the game and I can at least thank Blizzard for giving me the chance to meet the woman I plan on spending the rest of my life with. She helped me see what a waste that game was and with Geocaching I get to have my cake and eat it too. I am getting the excercise and enjoying my families company much more. I get to be technical and i see the outdoors. I look back at my days in WoW now and only see the time I wasted. In Geocaching there is so much to see in the real world and when I show people the places I have been they are actually interested and I don't get a blank look on their face.

WoW has been the subject of a "South Park" episode. Geocaching hasn't. Therefore, the two activities are clearly distinguishable.

I, for one, would love to see a South Park episode where the kids attempted one of the Psycho Urban Caches.

"Vinny killed Kenny!" :anicute:

Well, my suggestion here -- and I am writing this hoping and praying that my words here do not constitute felony sanctioning of felony child abuse against "Kenny" -- is to liberally rub lard (i.e., pork fat) all over Kenny's hands and feet and shoes, and then take him to the starting point for either Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now! or Psycho Urban Cache #14 -- Cliffside Catacombs. Or, alternatively, Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing. Better, trick him into doing the third/final stage of Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations without the protective Tyvek bunny suit and without the PAPR respirator and without the portable radiation monitor. For any of those, that will be the last you will see of little Kenny!

Or alternatively, the gang could go hunting for a guardrail micro on a busy highway.

Cartman: "This geocaching is LAME. Let's go play World of Warcraft."

Kyle: "But EVERY cache is a good cache!"

Kenny: "Mmmpth."

(Bus hits Kenny)

All: "THE MICRO KILLED KENNY!"

You left out "You B*S*A*D's!!!!!

Once again, I shouldn't drink while reading the forums, good thing I drink mainly water! :anicute::blink:

Funny stuff! The WoW episode of South Park was awesome, the thumb drive was too much! Ok I watch far too much South Park :blink: . I never got into WoW but I did play Everquest, I was addicted for about a month while I was on medical leave a few years back. I couldn't believe how much gain you would lose by going back to work, then I realized what a stupid waste of time it was! I can see a relation to geocaching. For the most part the real world is much better than the virtual world.

19 years old??? I'd kick him out until he got a job but thats just MHO. Sounds like he needs to live in his car for a while.

You left out "You B*S*A*D's!!!!!

Once again, I shouldn't drink while reading the forums, good thing I drink mainly water! :anicute::blink:

Funny stuff! The WoW episode of South Park was awesome, the thumb drive was too much! Ok I watch far too much South Park :blink: . I never got into WoW but I did play Everquest, I was addicted for about a month while I was on medical leave a few years back. I couldn't believe how much gain you would lose by going back to work, then I realized what a stupid waste of time it was! I can see a relation to geocaching. For the most part the real world is much better than the virtual world.

19 years old??? I'd kick him out until he got a job but thats just MHO. Sounds like he needs to live in his car for a while.

The most worthless junk I have found in a cache is still better than anything I ever found in wow. I can hold my comic book guy from the simpsons and set it on a shelf and see it and touch it. I will never be able to touch the sword I spent an entire weekend in azeroth trying to get.