Challenge Cache Queries

catsnfish

We are beginning to work on an Alphanumeric challenge cache. the rules are as follow:

In order to log this cache as a find, you must first find and log a cache that was hidden by a cacher whose official cache name begins with each of the 36 alphanumeric characters. The characters are A through Z and 0 through 9.

Needless to say, some of the names beginning with numbers will be quite difficult to find and may require a lot of road time to get there. Does anyone have a good way of searching for user names with these characters?

You can use the Members Directory here in the Groundspeak Forums. Note the "Names beginning with" search box at the upper right corner.

Of course, that will return members from all over the world, and only users who have registered here in the forums are included. But it's something.

EDIT to add that I'm missing just three of the 36 required characters, all numbers. Us Pennsylvania reviewers get around. :(

Edited by Keystone

You can use the Members Directory here in the Groundspeak Forums. Note the "Names beginning with" search box at the upper right corner.

Of course, that will return members from all over the world, and only users who have registered here in the forums are included. But it's something.

EDIT to add that I'm missing just three of the 36 required characters, all numbers. Us Pennsylvania reviewers get around. :)

Thank you! Yes, it is a start, next weekend we are going on a 250 mile one way, run for our last alpha and we'll pick up 2 numbers on the way. After that we'll just need 5 more numbers. Just hoping to keep the cache runs under 200 miles. :(

EDIT to add that I'm missing just three of the 36 required characters, all numbers. Us Pennsylvania reviewers get around. :)

Thank you! Yes, it is a start, next weekend we are going on a 250 mile one way, run for our last alpha and we'll pick up 2 numbers on the way. After that we'll just need 5 more numbers. Just hoping to keep the cache runs under 200 miles. :(

Good luck... I'm stuck on the same challenge. I need a "u" and several numbers, I think.

We are beginning to work on an Alphanumeric challenge cache. the rules are as follow:

In order to log this cache as a find, you must first find and log a cache that was hidden by a cacher whose official cache name begins with each of the 36 alphanumeric characters. The characters are A through Z and 0 through 9.

Needless to say, some of the names beginning with numbers will be quite difficult to find and may require a lot of road time to get there. Does anyone have a good way of searching for user names with these characters?

GSAK or some other external program.

For what its worth, I have 35 of the 36 alphanumeric characters.

I also have ", *. - and °.

It is all about who you know...

This thread is a bit old, but the question is still relevant, so bumping this thread. I'm in the same boat and looking for a "7" name. It seems like I could search for a cache by username, but I can't use a wild card to search for 7* as a username and I only get a few names starting with 7_name instead of all 7* names.

Is there an updated answer to be able to search for all cache owners beginning with a specific character?

Thanks!

This one was dug out of the way back machine! I've found that our local group is the best way to get these types of answers. A lot will depend on where you are, but our area has a large group on Facebook and we've had this question asked a few times over the years. Most people have a list they've put together, either in GSAK or as part of the challenge list and they refer back to that to let those people know where they can go to find a specific cache name. I don't think there's any better way now than 5 1/2 years ago.

Yeah, a GSAK list of all the caches in the state. I signed a double alphanumeric challenge while in Oregon where you had to find a cache with an "AA", "BB", etc to "99" somewhere in the body of the cache title. I did not have a "QQ" already so I drove 30 miles to get one (and some others) but there is no "YY" in the entire state of Washington. Not a sausage. A friend who has a crazy GSAK database showed me the nearest ones were in Oregon (of course, as that is where the challenge is) and British Columbia, etc. As Geocaching.com's search engine is limited, GSAK is nice so you can search for so many more things.