Locating an owner of an archived cache

Phil100

This might seem like a strange question but, is there such a thing as a list or register of archived caches?

The reason I ask is that in conversation with a County Council Highways worker, I learnt that while working on a bridge he found a cache that he wasn't able to replace. He still has the cache at his works depot and he is more than happy to pass it back to the owner. From the description it was quite a large cache which contained some geocoins.

In case any recognises the location and has it logged it was in Northumberland at Denwick Bridge near Alnwick.

Regards,

Phil100

This might seem like a strange question but, is there such a thing as a list or register of archived caches?

The reason I ask is that in conversation with a County Council Highways worker, I learnt that while working on a bridge he found a cache that he wasn't able to replace. He still has the cache at his works depot and he is more than happy to pass it back to the owner. From the description it was quite a large cache which contained some geocoins.

In case any recognises the location and has it logged it was in Northumberland at Denwick Bridge near Alnwick.

Regards,

Phil100

I think it must be this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...69-c4961251a5b6

I am sure the owner will be thrilled to get it back.

Details should be in the log book.

Edited by walkergeoff

Geoff, Many thanks indeed, it certainly sounds like it! :) I've sent the cache owner the contact detail of the NCC Highways worker so hopefully this will have a happy ending.

Incidentally, is there a way of checking for archive caches, or was this just a description that you recognised?

Regards,

Phil

Edited by Phil100

Geoff, Many thanks indeed, it certainly sounds like it! :) I've sent the cache owner the contact detail of the NCC Highways worker so hopefully this will have a happy ending.

Incidentally, is there a way of checking for archive caches, or was this just a description that you recognised?

Regards,

Phil

I recognised it. I did it in September last year, and thought, at the time, it was a unique hiding place. I spotted it had been archived when I was looking at my found caches listing in GSAK, so when your post came up it rang more than a bell.

I don't know whether one can check for archived caches, unless, when using GSAK a database of archived caches could be built, but that is not the same as searching a Groundspeak database.

Edited by walkergeoff
I don't know whether one can check for archived caches, unless, when using GSAK a database of archived caches could be built, but that is not the same as searching a Groundspeak database.

IF you know the GC number you can look at a cache page, if someone has found it -it will show.

GSAK can search, if you had the cache loaded, and haven't deleted it.

GeocacheUK used to have a search archived/temporally disabled caches feature...

IF you know the GC number you can look at a cache page, if someone has found it -it will show.

GSAK can search, if you had the cache loaded, and haven't deleted it.

GeocacheUK used to have a search archived/temporally disabled caches feature...

Unfortunately, at the time I posted the message, I didn't know the GC number or even the name. All I have is a description of the container and location, information that came from a non-Geocacher.

I think that we have now identified the name and GC number of the cache and therefore the owner and I have emailed him with the contact details of the Council worker who is holding the cache.

The cache was actually a Travel Bug Lodge with about half a dozen TBs and Geocoins so it would be nice to be able to release them even if the cache can't be re-instated.

Edited by Phil100

Unfortunately, at the time I posted the message, I didn't know the GC number or even the name. All I have is a description of the container and location, information that came from a non-Geocacher.

If you pass the details on to one of the Reviewers, we can do a search of the area. Which includes Archived caches. A rough set of coordinates makes the process easier :D

By the time I originally got to read this topic, the potential cache had already been ID :blink:

Deci

I've found the "Alnwick Travel Bug Lodge" cache (GCWW93), and from the sounds of it, it's the right cache. Well done to the workman who saved it! At the very least, it would be good to see the TB's/coins being set free again.

The cache owners last logged on to GC.com on 21st September 2008, so there's a good chance of them replying to an email?

I thought that some might be interested in the outcome of my enquiry, particularly if you have found and logged the Alnwick Travel Bug Lodge cache.

Earlier this week I met the Council worker who had found the cache and received from him the log book, a few "treasures" and, most importantly, four travel bugs. I have also made contact with the cache owner who has now moved out of the area. As the cache can't be re-instated - at least not in the original site - at his request, I have posted the log back to the owner, deposited the trinkets in another cache and intend to deposit the TBs in appropriate caches during the next couple of weeks. I've sent messages to the owners of the TBs to inform them that their bugs are no longer lost. :) The only bad news is that a geocoin that is logged as being in the cache was missing. :)

I thought that some might be interested in the outcome of my enquiry, particularly if you have found and logged the Alnwick Travel Bug Lodge cache.

Earlier this week I met the Council worker who had found the cache and received from him the log book, a few "treasures" and, most importantly, four travel bugs. I have also made contact with the cache owner who has now moved out of the area. As the cache can't be re-instated - at least not in the original site - at his request, I have posted the log back to the owner, deposited the trinkets in another cache and intend to deposit the TBs in appropriate caches during the next couple of weeks. I've sent messages to the owners of the TBs to inform them that their bugs are no longer lost. :P The only bad news is that a geocoin that is logged as being in the cache was missing. :laughing:

Well done, a pretty civilised way to tie up the loose ends :unsure: .

Rgds, Andy