Archiving Anomoly

Malpas Wanderer

I've noticed a couple of caches that were published sometime ago but now show as not yet published.

Within the last few minutes a setter has archived this cache seemingly for a second time, it now shows as never having been published.

I'm sure this is not what GS coding intended as elsewhere it states that most published and archived caches will remain on the site as historic archive. Only retracted caches will not be viewable.

Can this fault be corrected speedily please.

I think you will have to provide repeateble detailed information to contact@geocaching.com if you hope to be able for them to do anything based on your question.

but firstly I think the cache was published and the placer actually didn't want that to happen yet so he 'retracted' it.

Edited by trainlove

The listing was "Retracted." There's no bug here. Once a listing is retracted (which can only be done by a reviewer or site admin), it will remain in the "awaiting publication" list until it's either published or archived. In this example the cache was archived.

One time I submitted a cache to just check coordinates before I designed a cache to fit in the area and put in the description. 'More description to follow once cache is placed. CACHE IS NOT IN PLACE. Checking to see if this area is available. DO NOT PUBLISH'. The reviewer accidentally published the cache but almost immediately retracted the listing. I'm sure it confused a few FTF people that saw the new cache email but when they click on the listing it say can't be viewed until published. I never did place a cache in the area due to the amount of poison oak in the area.

The listing was "Retracted." There's no bug here. Once a listing is retracted (which can only be done by a reviewer or site admin), it will remain in the "awaiting publication" list until it's either published or archived. In this example the cache was archived.

Sorry I'm failing to see the flow of things here.

Yes I do recall that it was retracted upon my alert that it was on property that did not allow caching.

So I'm now more puzzled as to what sequence of events led to the delivery of an "archived notification" email

today stating that the cache owner archived an already archived cache.

Still a glitch in the system somewhere that needs closing. :)

The other cache that I've noticed a anomaly with is GCQ5G2 published in 2005 but recently no longer viewable without any explanation.

Hope you can shed further light on what is going on. :D

You're mistaken. The cache was only archived once. The sequence:

1. Unpublished

2. Published

3. Retracted - returns to unpublished status

4. Archived

As I stated before, retracting a listing doesn't archive it. Rather, it returns it to the queue of unpublished caches.

You're mistaken. The cache was only archived once. The sequence:

1. Unpublished

2. Published

3. Retracted - returns to unpublished status

4. Archived

As I stated before, retracting a listing doesn't archive it. Rather, it returns it to the queue of unpublished caches.

Thanks for the reply.

Remain unsure why any further action on a retracted cache is permitted.

Notification received;

Date: 4 Oct 2008 07:49:42 -0700

Subject: [LOG] Watchlist: Copper & Tin archived Bakers Ride (Archived) (Traditional

Cache)

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

Message-Id: <20081004144942.8FA319F65E@signal.Groundspeak.com>

by myself and many others possibly or the double archiving reference in the subject line. :)

I guess GCQ5G2 will just have to remain a mystery too :D

Many retracted caches are later published once the problem is corrected. All that retraction does is "un-do" the act of publication.

When you receive a notification e-mail, if the cache has a disabled or archived status, this will be indicated at the end of the subject line.

Everything's performing as designed in this example.