Why a serial connection?

KaHOnas

I recently got myself a Garmin Vista (monochrome) and am disappointed to find that it has a serial cable. My thinkpad doesn't have a serial port. I guess I'm trying to figure out why Garmin would even bother with the old style RS-232 links, as USB has been running the show for what, nearly 10 years now? Plus I've heard of problems with the RS-232 to USB adapters. Is there anything I can do about this? Do any GPSs use a USB instead of this silly 9-pin?

Disgruntled David

Newer model handheld GPSrs typically use USB instead of serial connections. Even there, though, Garmin tends to go with USB 1.1 rather than the faster USB 2.0.

Some of the reliance on legacy interfaces is just the usual gradual adoption of new technology. In the particular case of GPSrs, I suspect that some of it is also due to the fact that, historically, GPSrs integrate with other (non-PC) hardware, especially in marine and aviation environments. Much of this hardware relies on the NMEA communication standard. From a hardware perspective, NMEA relies on a serial interface.

I recently got myself a Garmin Vista (monochrome) and am disappointed to find that it has a serial cable. My thinkpad doesn't have a serial port. I guess I'm trying to figure out why Garmin would even bother with the old style RS-232 links, as USB has been running the show for what, nearly 10 years now? Plus I've heard of problems with the RS-232 to USB adapters. Is there anything I can do about this? Do any GPSs use a USB instead of this silly 9-pin?

Disgruntled David

NEMA compliance. It's a serial specification for variouse devices that need to communicate with a GPS. For your GPS to be mutli use and fully functional it would need to be compliant. Newer GPSs are either USB or have both USB and serial. NEMA to the best of my knowledge remains a serial standard and doesn't have a USB version. I could be wrong.

Picture if you got a GPS to use on your beautuful Yacht and the stupid GPS doesn't plug into the thousands of dollars worth of navigation equipment your tub came with.

What you need now is a USB To Serial converter. They are fairly inexpensive.

One should be careful when purchasing a serial converter. I bought one at Radio Shack, tried it and found it didn't work. I returned it and went to Comp USA and got a Belkin which worked just fine with my ETrex Venture. I'm hoping when I upgrade to a Rino Series combo Radio/GPS it will only use a USB connection.

Disgruntled David

In 2000, when the first eTrek came out, many PCs had USB port, but pretty much all them had serial ports. You shouldn't expect today's technology when you buy an 8 year old product.