Do you use rechargable batteries?

Pat in Louisiana

Does anyone know of a charger that will allow you to charge individual NiMh batteries? Not pairs of them!

I have some batteries that I suspect are not 100% good anymore and don't want to mix-n-match good and bad.

Have you looked at the maha chargers? they might.

Jim

This is the charger I use for my single loose cell charging. It is a NIMH only charger for AA/AAA batteries.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?Page...amp;ProdID=2606

Thanks for sharing that, Doug. Good stuff! :ph34r:

Thanks, I tried... I'll have to get in and edit that a bit... was getting late here, but a bit of reading between the words should help... There are several excellent sites I've found on recharging NiMh batteries and also NiCd cells, and I assume everything else. They all have pro's and cons, of course. My current project NiMh cell has been wanting to be kept up to charge fine... but that is voltage only I suspect. I'm stuck with one cell that was flat. So while I'm looking for another one to charge alongside, I've been trying to see if I can keep the voltage to stay at 1.2 +/- and how it takes discharging to one volt.. so far it is looking good like some of the others I've succeeded with. As for that, I'm about 1/3 sucessful, 1/3 failed (but no explosions), and 1/3 weren't worth trying... Another point, is that I never use reconditioned cells in serious situations... like for SAR or in critical communications stuff...

As for why recondition... the subject was economics of rechargeables... and free stuff discarded by others is certainly economic... I just wait for the cursing to start and offer to take the dead cells of the persons hands.

Given rules about dumping batteries in garbage, I can get what I require with a little effort and time. My best hauls were 25 amp Hour Sealed lead acids back in 92... 6 pack for 12 volts... still going strong. They were from those hallway lighting systems for emergency lighting... Get to know your local service guy...

But DON'T TRY to use them in your GPS... to heavy.

Doug VE7RXC

Does anyone know of a charger that will allow you to charge individual NiMh batteries? Not pairs of them!

I have some batteries that I suspect are not 100% good anymore and don't want to mix-n-match good and bad.

Several of the MAHA chargers will charge single cells. I use this one http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=422

If you want to know the electrical particulars this one is a good one.

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=423

I use Energizer with the 15 Minute Charger (especially while on the road for weekend caching trips). Use a 60CSx and the batteries will last almost all day with the backlight set at about 50%...so, overall, I think it was a good decision for me. Should also say I use the higher 2500 mAH AA's for caching...the 2200 mAH that come with the charger I use at home...seems to work very well for caching.

First off, thanks to you guys for the single cell charging info... I won't replace things yet, but I'll look at it.

As for stuff about the tech side of rechargeables, I'll mention a couple of many websites that have good information... there are lots more of course...

For General Information and a bit more: www.batteryuniversity.com, or www.buchmann.ca

For a different more techy bit... www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm

I've run out of my depth almost already...

Doug VE7RXC

Just a quick word about battieries.. Rechargables at that! I had a friend ask me the other day - What kinda batteries does your GPS use? I told him "i use rechargables..simply because alkies get too exp. later on.

For those that do wish to purchase rechargables for thier GPS (or any other battery powered equip.) MAKE VERY sure you inspect the voltage on the battery(s)... I discovered awhile back that there are such batteries that are only rated at 1.2volts - unlike the 1.5 they can and WILL damage anything that you use them in. The battery I am specifically refering to is the RAY-O-VAC NiMH rechargable. They are aprox. 6-8 bucks and their life span is only1-3 hours at the VERY most.

I STRONGLY discourage ppl from buying them as they, like I previously mentioned, can and WILL do damage because of thier insufficiant source of power when fully charged.

Just a buyer beware issue I thought yea all should know about!

Just a quick word about battieries.. Rechargables at that! I had a friend ask me the other day - What kinda batteries does your GPS use? I told him "i use rechargables..simply because alkies get too exp. later on.

For those that do wish to purchase rechargables for thier GPS (or any other battery powered equip.) MAKE VERY sure you inspect the voltage on the battery(s)... I discovered awhile back that there are such batteries that are only rated at 1.2volts - unlike the 1.5 they can and WILL damage anything that you use them in. The battery I am specifically refering to is the RAY-O-VAC NiMH rechargable. They are aprox. 6-8 bucks and their life span is only1-3 hours at the VERY most.

I STRONGLY discourage ppl from buying them as they, like I previously mentioned, can and WILL do damage because of thier insufficiant source of power when fully charged.

Just a buyer beware issue I thought yea all should know about!

Sigh. All rechargeables run at 1.2 volts. GPS receivers work just fine at this voltage. Other battery powered electronics run just fine on this voltage. My Ray-O-Vacs run 8 hours with juice left over. Using NiMH in GPS receivers will not damage them. If using NiMH causes damage then there would be dire warnings in the manuals, not a battery type selection of alkaline or NiMH in the system setup. I get mine for about $2 each, not the 6-8 you paid. Perhaps you should spend a little time reading your manual and less time posting error filled posts.

Jim

Edited by jholly

If so what do you find is the best?

Do you use different types for cameras vs. GPS?

I really like the hybrid NiMH AAs. I have used the Rayovac and Kodak brands in Cameras and GPSrs. They work great and work without going dead like regular NiMH after weeks sitting unused.

Here are some of the brands of Hybrids now available:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Uniross Hybrio

Ultralast Hybrio

Kodak Digital Camera, Ultra Low Discharge

Maha Imedion

Nexcell EnergyOn

Accupower Acculoop

Ansman Max-E

GP ReCyko

Duracell Pre-charged

Pro Power Hybrid

Delkin Power (Low Discharge)

Another question as to chargers that work on individual batteries (not pairs.) I own and recommend the Maha MH-C401FS and Maha/Powerex MH-C9000. The later can break-in, form, analyze, cycle and charge individual batteries.

Edited by EScout

No, not anymore........I have all the items for rechargeables, BUT, Alkaline batteries discharge only when used....rechargeables discharge from the get go....To me, they are not worth the trouble to recharge, when alkaline batteries are always ready to go and you get a warning with alkaline batteries, but not with rechargeables when batteries need replacing....they just drop dead. The price of alkaline batteries are affordable, due to the security of the GPSr not depleting without warning....When I get the warning beep, I change batteries immediately, also along this line, if you have an electronic compass, the GPSr should be calibrated, maybe several times during a cache run, etc.....I have found that when I'm having a bearing problem, it is because the electronic compass needs re calibrated. just my 2 cents....Happy caching and smooth trails...

I won't use anything other than rechargeables now. I have a set of Energizer and a set of duracell, I use them in the GPS and my 12mp camera and usually only go through 1-2 sets if we go on a long day. Then just re-charge them when we get home. I've saved a lot on batteries. That and you're not throwing away batteries and putting them in the landfills

Edited by anakerose

I use rechargeable batteries in the 76CSx and my palm. I use duracell and engergizer. Both last for the entire day of caching and charge quickly at night for the next time. When you use them in your GPS just be sure to switch the battery type from alkaline to NiMH.

Jim

Thanks for the advice Jim, I just started using rechargeables and didn't even remember that there was a battery setting in my 60CSx. Funny thing is that once I changed it from alkaline to NiMH my remaining battery charge indicator jumped from about 3/4 to full!!! :D

That is Because Alkaline batteries are 1.5 volt so it is monitoring the voltage as such when you switch to NIMH it knows that rechargeables are 1.2 volts per cell so it monitors the batteries based on that voltage.

Does the etrex H have this battery changing setting in it too??