60scx first time user questions

djtilton

Hi all- first original post! I replied to one, so not first first, but the first one where I'm looking for help.

Got my Garmin 60csx yesterday and we live in Mansfield MA and there's a state park nearby with a bunch of caches, so we went looking for one. Very disappointed that we didn't find it, as it was an easy one. I may have set the device up wrong, as it kept trying to recalculate as we approached the cache. It would keep saying 1%, then recalculate over and over again, so much so that I couldn't even open the menu to stop navigation. Then the compass disappeared......Again, noob needs to set it up correctly, but not really sure what some of the set-up options are or what they mean. Also, when I turn it off then back on again later, the backlight doesn't come on- it has to be reset to ON and the level reset everytime the device is turned on. Am I missing something? I read the owners manual online before I bought, then when I got it....not a lot of helpful hints there, but it covered the basics.

Thanks for listening!!

-Danny T

I have a 60csx. You are in the auto routing feature for following the road. First question I have is, "Did you buy any mapping software with the GPS? If so, which software? The unit comes preloaded with a base map that is, well, basic.

If you bought Topo, it does not have the auto routing feature to follow roads so you should turn off that feature.

If you bought City Navigator, than you do have auto routing. Use this feature to get you to the cache area, if you are driving there. Once you get close to the area you must "recalculate" your routing to off road by:

1) Being on the map page

2) hitting the menu button

3) Scrolling down to recalculate and selecting that feature

4) choose off road

5) you are now on your way.

Now, if you don't have any maps installed here is how you turn the auto routing feature off or change it to where it asks you if you want to follow road or off road.

1) hit the menu button 2x's to get to the menu screen

2) scroll to the "set up" option, it looks like a wrench, and hit enter

3) scroll to the "routing" option and jit enter

4) Under "Guidance method" hit enter and then choose either "prompted" (which I use because I have both TOPO and Navigator) or "off road"

This should solve your problem with the routing and caclulating.

The backlight feature is something you are going to have to live with. All the 60csx's do that. It's a power saving feature.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just hit my profile and email me.

ao318

Also, when I turn it off then back on again later, the backlight doesn't come on- it has to be reset to ON and the level reset everytime the device is turned on. Am I missing something?

It's trying to save people from doing stupid things. The backlight burns through batteries faster than any other feature. Resetting it back to a standard setting keeps you from turning the unit on in bright daylight, not realizing that the backlight is turned on and set to its highest setting, and then unexpectedly have the batteries run down while you're out in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Prime Suspect

There is also an option in setup that allows you to tell it how you want it to recalculate. Since I have City Navigator I have mine set so that it will ask each time I tell it to recalculate. When I am driving I tell it to follow Road. When I get close to stopping I have it recalculate and tell it I want off road. I then switch to the compass page.