Other types of coins

KaliSamba

I have seen foreign coins in the few caches we have done to date but I don't think they are official geocoins as I don't see any numbers. Today we picked up a 1973 coin from Mozambique - 2.5 Escudos. It is in a small plastic envelope with an address label on it. The label has a photo of a dog in one corner and a Geocaching world symbol in the other. It then says in large letters "L McG is me". It is a lovely coin but I am not sure what I should be doing with it. Is it something that should be tracked and passed along? Or is is a little treat left behind by someone for anyone who is interested in coins to keep. It looks official with the label but there are no other numbers or codes. What should I do with it? Thanks. - Major Newbie

I have put a few fire department challenge coins into my caches as FTF prizes. They are not GC coins or TB's, just nice coins coins for people to keep or do whatever they want with. If there are no numbers and no note describing what the goal of the coin is than it is yours to do with as you please.

Edited by ao318

I was just going through some foreign coins yesterday, for using as swag. I think it's a good idea - it's interesting, small (fits in all size caches except a nano), and some are worth a few bucks.

I removed the coins worth $5 - $10, but the ones worth a dollar or two are perfect for swag. And if a future finder happens to be a coin collector looking for that particular coin, you've just made his day! :)

I was just going through some foreign coins yesterday, for using as swag. I think it's a good idea - it's interesting, small (fits in all size caches except a nano), and some are worth a few bucks.

I removed the coins worth $5 - $10, but the ones worth a dollar or two are perfect for swag. And if a future finder happens to be a coin collector looking for that particular coin, you've just made his day! :lol:

I wouldn't consider myself a coin collector but I've been building a collection of foreign coins for my son and really appreciate finding them in caches. Fortunately, there is a coin hotel that has also been used for foreign coin training very close to my house and I've also picked up a lot of coins during my business travel the past couple of years.

I also have picked up some Chinese souvenir coins that are pretty cool looking at a Dollar store near by. The come in plastic sleeves similar to those used for geocoins and can be had for just over $3 for 8 coins. They make nice swag items as it's easy to carry a bunch of them in my pocket.