Garmin eTrex Legend Screen Issues

ADKSherpa

I've had my Garmin eTrex Legend for almost 2 years now and over the past few months, I've had problems. It turns on and works fine probably 50% if the time but other times I get lines across the screen when it's on. You can tell that the GPS part of it still works, just not the screen. I can just barely make out whats actually supposed to be on the screen behind and inside the lines (Yeah, this is somewhat hard to explain). Other times it just wont turn on. Or does is not display anything? I don't know but I'm having problems with it. Because It's almost 2 years old, the Warranty is up and to get it fixed, I have to pay like 70-80 dollars. I was wondering if anyone else had issues like this and if anyone knew of anything I could do.

If there's nothing I can do, I will not be getting it repaired and would like to get a rid of this unit and get something like a GPSMAP or something. Other than the screen problems, it's in very good condition for 2 years old. The screen itself doesn't have any big scratches in it, all the buttons work, etc. Anyone think I could get rid of it on here to get some money to support a new GPS? For a 14 year old, I don't just HAVE the money for a nice new unit. Thanks. :unsure:

The problem is the flexible cable that goes from the circuit board to the LCD can come loose and develop an intermittent connection. I fixed mine by accidentally dropping it about 4 feet onto concrete. :unsure: It landed on one of the front bottom corners, so you might try rapping it against a solid object in one of those corners. Of course, it's quite possible that doing so might make it come apart even more and totally disable it, break the LCD, case, circuit board, or some other horrible disaster which would be visible from space, so try at your own risk.

That is a common issue with Legends.

I just tap mine on the side gently, and it either clears up, or gets worse.

I keep tapping until it clears up.

Sometimes new batteries clear it up too.

Same exact issue. Just bang it on your hand...it's just one of those things about a Legend. I've been banginng mine into shape for about 3 years and it still works like a champ, just not the screen on occasion.

I started with a Legend C. I had it about one ear when the black band on the side came unglued. This may have been caused by keeping it on my dash while driving. Anyway… the buttons are part of this rubber band. Needless to say, I began to have problems. I now use a GPSmap 60Cx and love it.

If all it is, is a lose cable, you can fix it yourself. Here are the instructions: LINK

I would try to have Garmin send me a new rubber surround replacement kit (includes a new surround and some double sided tape) before opening the unit up. They had been known to send those out to people that have the problem of the glue holding the surround failing and the surround stretching.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll see what I can do.

Either way, I think I'd like to upgrade it. Like I said, other than that, it's in good condition. Think I could get rid of it on these forums, even with the way the screen is?

There is a new ebay store called Second Rotation that sells used electronics and checks them out thoroughly before selling them. Sometimes they have handhelds and sometimes not, but it would be cheaper.

I would try to have Garmin send me a new rubber surround replacement kit (includes a new surround and some double sided tape) before opening the unit up. They had been known to send those out to people that have the problem of the glue holding the surround failing and the surround stretching.

This happened to my Hcx and my friends Hcx. Garmin sent me a new rubber boot and the tape so I could fix it myself. My friend had to send hers in and garmin replaced her GPS with a refurbished one. I am still not sure who got the better deal here, but Garmin knew exactly what I was talking about and did not hesitate to send it out to me FREE OF CHARGE to me.