Adding a new log in someone's cache

ssgeo83

There is a cache in my area and the owner has not logged in since 2007.

The cache is still active and one of the log said that the log is almost full.

The owner was in the war and according to the cache description, he got injured and is in the hospital.

So he does not live near the cache and cannot add a new log.

When the log gets full, can I add a new log to his cache?

Yes
If he's in the hospital, he might enjoy seeing the old log. If he edited the cache description to say he's in the hospital, I bet it wouldn't be impossible to contact him & see if he wants it.

I would. :anibad:

Edit: "I would" was meant to mean I'd want it if I was the cache owner, but I would replace the old one & try to get it to the owner, as well.

Edited by Too Tall John

Thanks John... I should have elaborated a bit.

If there is room in the cache leave the old log for the owner. If thre is no room I'd take the old log home then attempt to contact the owner and see if they want the log mailed to them.

Agreed.

I always like it when a kind hearted cacher helps me to maintain my caches and goes the extra mile to mail me old logs or old log cameras. How very kind!

On two occasions over the years I have found myself temporarily unable to visit caches I owned for the purpose of maintaining logbooks; on both occasions I posted apologetic notes. On both occasions fellow cachers stepped up and not only replaced the logs for me, but also mailed the old, full logs to my home.

In both instances I was very, very, very grateful.

There is a cache in my area and the owner has not logged in since 2007.

The cache is still active and one of the log said that the log is almost full.

The owner was in the war and according to the cache description, he got injured and is in the hospital.

So he does not live near the cache and cannot add a new log.

When the log gets full, can I add a new log to his cache?

Yes. As I have noted several times before in past posts on this forum, I tend to do my caching, in most cases, while packing a cache maintenance kit, and thus I will regularly replace or repair damaged containers, soggy logbooks or missing logbooks, add a new logbook as needed, replace missing GEOCACHE labels on the exterior of the container, or remove water from the cache container. In fact, I am a bit spoiled, and I simply assume that most other cachers would do that as well, but I suspect that the percentage of cachers who regularly do cache maintenance is really about ten percent of the population of active cachers.

As a case in point, I have lots of extreme Terrain 5 caches around the world on my watchlist, and among them, I have on that watchlist a really fun extreme cache in Sweden called Deathwish. I have been rather amazed to note in the last few find logs left by finders, that although they were apparently well aware (due to other logs) before setting out to tackle the cache that the logsheet was almost filled and would need to be replaced/replenished, they did NOT add a new log sheet when they visited the cache, but rather, simply complained that the logsheet was getting full and that the cache owner would need to do "maintenance"! How hostile and insane is that kind of behavior? To me, that is quite amazingly bull-headed and also unkind and ungracious behavior on the part of the finders! How hard would it be to pack along some logsheets, and to add one when they visit the cache?