Experience with Lowrance IFinder H2O?

StarSaels

Does anyone have experience caching with the Lowrance iFinder H2O/H2O C?

I've read a lot of reviews, most good, some bad, but none by geocachers.

*S

I tried the ifinder H20 for a couple days side by side with my 60cx. sitting in my house the h20 would get lock but would loose it quite often, the 60cx never does. In a pretty thick woods it didn't seem to have any issues at all, and actually seemed more stable when close to a cache(standing in one spot the 60cx one minute would say 20ft north, next minute 20ft south).

This stability the H20 had may just have been the unit being a bit slower at refreshing or some sort of averaging it was doing. either way I was pretty impressed with such a cheap GPS, I would actually say its the bests GPS I have used under $150.

I used GSAK to upload a bunch of caches( I used and SD card reader and then put the card in unit, I think you have to do it this way with Lowrance).

I never did try an h20C but would assume it would be even better with a newer chipset. I also never used any map software.

The last two GPSers I've owned have been an H20 and H20C. Both were/are excellent units for hiking/geocaching and in my opinion will stand up to any of the other more popular, more expensive units. They are solid units and will keep a satellite lock even in the deep woods.

Edited by Indotguy

From the Lowrance website one can download the user's manual and product emulator. Product Emulators are PC-based applications that look and function like the actual product. By using the emulator I was able to familiarize myself with the H20 and customized the screens before I actually had the unit in hand. A really good way to shorten the learning curve.

From the Lowrance website one can download the user's manual and product emulator. Product Emulators are PC-based applications that look and function like the actual product. By using the emulator I was able to familiarize myself with the H20 and customized the screens before I actually had the unit in hand. A really good way to shorten the learning curve.

I completely agree, I downloaded both the manual and emulator before I went and picked up the H20 I tested out. only thing I thought sucked ws how in basic mode the GPS is pretty useless. you need to put it into advanced mode if you really want to do anything with it.

User manual: http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Do...61_05-21-04.pdf

Emulator: http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Em...DERH2O_demo.exe

Edited by hogrod

Does anyone have experience caching with the Lowrance iFinder H2O/H2O C?

I've read a lot of reviews, most good, some bad, but none by geocachers.

*S

I have an iFinder Hunt which I think operates the same as the H2O and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I've had mine for two or three years.

As a long time Lowrance owner and enthusiast, I'm going to list some facts about the units beyond the usual "I like it" chatter:

PLUSES:

• Very sensitive, fast to lock, good at holding the lock, accurate.
  • Extensive features and customizability.
  • Lots of capacity for tracklogs.
  • SD card expandable for holding maps and other data.
  • Solidly built.

MINUSES:

• Flipside of "solidly built:" Big and bulky. Not really a "pocket GPS" unless you're a big person wearing a parka. Bicyclists may have trouble finding space for it on their handlebars.
  • Menu structure is deep and involved, it's only "easy" to use once you've found (and memorized) where the features you want are buried.
  • Getting a bit dated. Firmware hasn't been updated for a few years, nor has map software.
  • Doesn't support auto-routing. Not a big deal to me, but commonly available in competing units.
  • No USB connectivity. RS232 serial only and the cable is hard to find/buy online.
  • SD card has to come out of the GPS and go into a card reader to transfer data, no direct transfer of maps, tracks, routes to/from the unit. RS232 cable mentioned above only useful for sending current tracking data to a computer or other device.
  • Trackpoints don't record elevation or time. Maybe not as much concern to cachers as others who want to use it as a data logger (hikers, cyclists, glider pilots, balloonists, etc)...
  • Though supported in GPSBabel, very limited support in other software. Combined with the need to take the SD card out of the GPS to access data, many extra steps are needed to visualize a track in Google Earth, as compared against competing Garmin or Magellan models.

Edited by lee_rimar

As a long time Lowrance owner and enthusiast, I'm going to list some facts about the units beyond the usual "I like it" chatter:

PLUSES:

• Very sensitive, fast to lock, good at holding the lock, accurate.
  • Extensive features and customizability.
  • Lots of capacity for tracklogs.
  • SD card expandable for holding maps and other data.
  • Solidly built.

MINUSES:

• Flipside of "solidly built:" Big and bulky. Not really a "pocket GPS" unless you're a big person wearing a parka. Bicyclists may have trouble finding space for it on their handlebars.
  • Menu structure is deep and involved, it's only "easy" to use once you've found (and memorized) where the features you want are buried.
  • Getting a bit dated. Firmware hasn't been updated for a few years, nor has map software.
  • Doesn't support auto-routing. Not a big deal to me, but commonly available in competing units.
  • No USB connectivity. RS232 serial only and the cable is hard to find/buy online.
  • SD card has to come out of the GPS and go into a card reader to transfer data, no direct transfer of maps, tracks, routes to/from the unit. RS232 cable mentioned above only useful for sending current tracking data to a computer or other device.
  • Trackpoints don't record elevation or time. Maybe not as much concern to cachers as others who want to use it as a data logger (hikers, cyclists, glider pilots, balloonists, etc)...
  • Though supported in GPSBabel, very limited support in other software. Combined with the need to take the SD card out of the GPS to access data, many extra steps are needed to visualize a track in Google Earth, as compared against competing Garmin or Magellan models.

I don't consider pulling the card to load data as a minus. I keep my caches in files for the different areas I cache in, so I load each area as a file and just load the file for the area I cache in that day, that way I don't have a couple of hundred waypoints to sort through. When I'm done for the day I delete the caches I've done and write the file back to the card to use another day. As far as having to pull the card out of the GPS, I have to pull the batteries to charge them anyway.

...I don't consider pulling the card to load data as a minus...
Ah, but do you consider it a "plus" -- or just saying it doesn't bother you?

Every other gadget I've owned that could exchange data with a computer did so by a cable - or even wirelessly. Palm and Windows CE PDAs, cellphones, iPods, iPhone, cameras - even other brands of GPS. The iFinder is the only one I have open up to get to the data.

No big deal - but it isn't a "plus."

Edited by lee_rimar

Every other gadget I've owned that could exchange data with a computer did so by a cable - or even wirelessly. Palm and Windows CE PDAs, cellphones, iPods, iPhone, cameras - even other brands of GPS. The iFinder is the only one I have open up to get to the data.

That's your opinion... to each his own. The way you can load the waypoints as separate files and just load the ones you need at the time is a plus to me. You can also delete all of your waypoints from the GPS and you haven't lost them because they are still on the card. As I said before, I have to pull the batteries to charge them anyway, so it's no big deal to pull the card.

I have explained this feature to other cachers and they thought it was a pretty slick that it worked that way.

That's your opinion... to each his own. The way you can load the waypoints as separate files and just load the ones you need at the time is a plus to me. You can also delete all of your waypoints from the GPS and you haven't lost them because they are still on the card. As I said before, I have to pull the batteries to charge them anyway, so it's no big deal to pull the card.

I have explained this feature to other cachers and they thought it was a pretty slick that it worked that way.

I just picked up my first Lowrance to play around with.

I'm interested in learning how I can load waypoints to the card and then load them to the gps.

I use a Lowrance H2Oc for caching, fishing, hiking, hunting, work, etc. Advanced mode is fairly technical, as has been said, but it is not hard to learn if you are patient enough to play around with it. The good thing is that it has lots of features accessible from the GPSr. The GPSr also always gives me an accurate reading without dancing around too much. The main trouble that I have had is not with the GPS at all, but with the Lowrance MapCreate 7 software. I will say this, the maps are excellent! I've used DeLorme and NatGeo in the past and personally, I think the MapCreate detail is much better (especially if your a fisherman as MC 7 has bathymetric maps for 3,000+ lakes!). However, if you are running Windows Vista prepare for some great fun trying to install the software, 1, and 2, trying to get the card reader to work!

Overall, Lowrance makes a great product though!

I just picked up my first Lowrance to play around with.

I'm interested in learning how I can load waypoints to the card and then load them to the gps.

First thing you want to do is go to the Lowrance website and download GPXtoUSR, this will convert the GPX files to USR files including the information that you choose. Then all you have to do is copy the USR file to the SD card. With GPXtoUSR under waypoint text I check name and waypoint code and uncheck everything else. then under waypoint comment I uncheck everything except hints. Then when you go to your waypoint list in the GPS it will show you the name and GC number, and when you pick the cache you want to go to the next screen will show you the hint.

As far as transfering them from the card the manual will cover all of that.