I want to go paperless..HELP

buteo

You will need a few basics to go paperless.

You will need a premium account for pocket queries, which it appears you have. (You may want to also get GSAK to manage your queries and filter specific lists of caches to download to your device).

You will need a device to hold that electronic data - a PDA, cell phone or like device which can run one of several applications.

You will need the application that runs on the PDA there are a number of them. PDAs are generally of the Palm or Windows Pocket PC variety. However you may be able to use the Apple products nowadays depending on how you output your cache details.

You are using a GPS already, so this is just to be able to read the cache description, logs, hint, etc. Yes?

www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html is another good source of information. Also, Google "paperless geocaching" and you will get a whole list of sites w/ information. Good luck!

I need help going paperless.Consider me a computer idiot.So how do I start.

1.what equipment do I need

2.When I download off a cache page what is that I'm downloading,the text for that page?

3.I really don't have a clue what to do.

Thanks for any help or leads.

I've written a couple articles on this; here is one Paperless Geocaching II

Others I have written on are:

Pocket Queries and GSAK,

GSAK Dabase How to,

GSAK Utility,

CacheMate,

CacheBerry,

GSAK and Google Earth with Polygons,

and a few more.

Edited by wkmccall

I need help going paperless. Consider me a computer idiot. So how do I start.

1.what equipment do I need?

2.When I download off a cache page what is that I'm downloading, the text for that page?

3.I really don't have a clue what to do.

Thanks for any help or leads.

1. You can buy a new GPSr that has paperless caching built into it. Garmin's Oregon comes to mind now or DeLorme's PN-40 in a couple months.

2. From the cache page when you click on download direct to GPS you are adding all the information including initial coordinates, information about the cache, and any clues the cache page includes directly to your GPSr. You can then access all this on your paperless GPSr and GO TO the initial coordinates. You can then manage in the GPSr that you found the cache or failed to find the cache. And you can download directly multiple caches too either one at a time that interest you or a whole bunch all at once.

At this point in time I am not that serious about geocaching so I only add them one at a time. I didn't need to know the file types or structure involved or use any other tools other then my PC and the Colorado's USB cable--DON'T buy the Colorado if new paperless geocaching GPSr's intrigue you--it has other serious problems. I will be using an Oregon next. Read the other infomation mentioned in this thread too but understand that there are a wide variety of ways to go paperless depending on the equipment you can afford to get--from very easy to very hard. I have only used the very easy approach and don't intend to manage thousands of caches anywhere outside of geocaching.com. Your mileage can freely vary and probably will.

3. With other devices besides your current GPS (assuming it does not do paperless geocaching) you can accomplish paperless caching but it is complicated imho. You indicated a willingness to buy equipment you might need? There are less expensive portable GPSr on the market then the Oregon. All models have tradeoffs to consider. I'm impressed with DeLorme's interest and the care they are taking before introducing the PN-40.

Edited by Ratsneve

You do not need to spend $400 for a new gizmo to do paperless caching. A simple Palm PDA can cost $100 (new) or less (if used) and Cachemate will cost $8 $10. A DeLorme gazeteer for your state may cost $20. That adds up to $128 $130. The $272 $270you save by not buying the latest and most complex gadget will go into the gas tank to get you to many, many more caches! Good luck!

Edited by PeachyPA

You do not need to spend $400 for a new gizmo to do paperless caching. A simple Palm PDA can cost $100 (new) or less (if used) and Cachemate will cost $8. A DeLorme gazeteer for your state may cost $20. That adds up to $128. The $272 you save by not buying the latest and most complex gadget will go into the gas tank to get you to many, many more caches! Good luck!

The op made no reference to needing or wanting to go cheap.