Feature request, My friends cache hiding

GeoBeer

I mailed geocaching, and they told me to drop it here, so here it is.

While I want to cache with also registered geocaching-friends you need to find a cache which noone of the cachers that go with you have found. So it would be nice to have a feature to select some "My Friends"-friends, and that you can then look at the map and see only caches we all have not foud.

Just like "Hide my finds", but then "Hide my finds + selected my friends caches".

This would be a great feature to get caching new caches with friends.

What do you think? :huh:

You're welcome. :(

Well, Groundseak has hinted that there may be more to the friend feature in the future. This may be one of those things that will be provided. I don't think that something like this would be implemented right now, but they're probably thinking about how to do this in the future.

The closest thing that I can see at this time, is using www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com. You can compare your finds with another cacher, and put the results into GSAK, I believe.

The closest thing that I can see at this time, is using www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com. You can compare your finds with another cacher, and put the results into GSAK, I believe.

That is true, it can be useful and works fine - although only for comparing two cachers' finds (not for "some" friends as the OP says), and of course only if all the relevant people are Premium Mebers.

For those who don't know how it works, you can find the feature here (after loading your stats), then select another cacher, and take the list from the lowest text field (it includes caches that at least one of you has found, because you want to filter these and only keep the ones not found by either of you). In the link just above the text field, there's an explanation how to set up the filter in GSAK.

I mailed geocaching, and they told me to drop it here, so here it is.

While I want to cache with also registered geocaching-friends you need to find a cache which noone of the cachers that go with you have found. So it would be nice to have a feature to select some "My Friends"-friends, and that you can then look at the map and see only caches we all have not foud.

Just like "Hide my finds", but then "Hide my finds + selected my friends caches".

This would be a great feature to get caching new caches with friends.

What do you think? :)

It would be nice. We bump into that problem all the time. "Next cache is GC1234" "Hey, I don't have that cache on my GPS..." "Hmmmm...."

The "Friends" feature is in it's infancy

I think Groundspeak is looking to enhance the "Friends" capabilities.

The friends feature is at least a couple years old now. In internet terms, this is VERY OLD, this isn't something in its infancy, by all appearances its something thats been abandon by GS. When it came out, GS hinted that it would be developed more, but nothing has happened to it at all.

Actions speak louder than words, here's an action to consider:

I looked at Jeremy's forum posts for the last year. ALL are about Wherigo, the iphone app, the Wherigo player on the Colorado and Oregon, in other words, all about expensive toys, NONE about actual site issues or more importantly site development. This is the clearest message you can get, when Jeremy himself doesn't even talk about site development anymore.

The reason that features like friends isn't more developed is because GS is spending their resources on things like Wherigo and Waymarking, both things that came out or were more extensively developed after the friends feature was introduced.

The real sad part here is that they are spending all this time and resources on something that by all appearances is a flop. Here's some quick stats, there are NO Wherigo caches within 50 miles of me, only one within 100 miles, and only three within 150 miles of me, and the one thats within 100 miles, can't be found with an Oregon, the file apparently locks them up, reading through the forums, this seems to be a common problem. I could say similar for Waymarking.

Yes, a good feature request!

However, Another work around if you are using GSAK is the "group caching macro" which can be found here

Thanks for all your replies.

Thanks, I'll understand. But then you need to update the GSAK database yourself, and you need to open a seperate application. But that is as close as we can get, thats true.

I have never did a Wherigo cache, there is one 35 km (22 mile) from me.

Anyway, I want this in the site. :(

Edited by GeoBeer