The Leather Man Geocoin

KDubs

I live in Connecticut, and there is an old legend about "The Leather Man." Here is his story...

Leatherman once roamed SW Connecticut and SE New York from 1858 to 1889. He traveled a 365-mile loop between the Connecticut and Hudson rivers. Approximately every month he would repeat his journey. The man spoke primarily with grunts or gestures and dressed in crudely stitched leather from his hat to his shoes. The suit was made of soft-tanned calfskin leather and weighed about sixty pounds. He would sleep outside year-round mostly in caves around Connecticut and New York.

There are many geocaches at locations of Leatherman caves including one at his supposed tombstone in New York. I own two of them in Conncecticut and wanted to combine his interesting story with my first venture into creating a Geocoin.

The net result is the "Leather Man's Circuit Geocoin" which is a commemorative to this early geocacher. On the front is the Leather Man with his date of birth and death. On the back is a map of his ciruit, with a leather-texture background.

I have some left and set up a site for those that want to purchase some. Note that if you want more than 5, please send me an e-mail to confirm I still have some in quantity. Same thing if you see this post beyond the middle of September since I assume they will move fast. I only made 250 and was able to get the custom icon.

Order Here

Sorry but no international orders

Edited by KDubs

Nice coin from what I can tell. would it be possible to post another pic of the front of the coin? it's kinda tough to make out what is written to the left of the figure with these old eyes... :laughing:

it says "the old leatherman" - it is kind of in the shadows.

cool coin!

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Nice coin from what I can tell. would it be possible to post another pic of the front of the coin? it's kinda tough to make out what is written to the left of the figure with these old eyes... :laughing:

it says "the old leatherman" - it is kind of in the shadows.

cool coin!

rsg

Thanks RedShoesGirl - you are correct. I tried taking different photos with several cameras and they all came out about the same.

I've heard of this legend, so I had to order a couple! Would LOVE to find a few of those caches!

Thanks

There will also be a book coming out by Dan Deluca. He actually walked me to the two known sites for my caches.

Sounds like a future Road Trip to me!! :laughing::laughing:

I'll have to track that book down.

It's a shame I'm excluded from this :laughing:

If anyone would like to trade, I have a number of coins available via the link in my sig.

Please drop me a line!

Russ

I think Russ is saying that International Shipping is "Not Offered" and he lives in the UK- ergo he is excluded.

Yep, no International :D

Russ

I bought an extra. If you would like to trade just let me know :D

It's a shame I'm excluded from this :laughing:

If anyone would like to trade, I have a number of coins available via the link in my sig.

Please drop me a line!

Russ

I think Russ is saying that International Shipping is "Not Offered" and he lives in the UK- ergo he is excluded.

Yep, no International :D

Russ

I bought an extra. If you would like to trade just let me know :D

I bent the rules and will ship him some...just hard to get to the post office for the International orders.

Ok since i have gotten so much interest I will consider shipping internationally. I work a lot and it is hard to get to the post office to ship, so if you are interested please contact me by end of day Monday and I will make a run mid-week to ship. Let me know how many you want and I can figure out shipping costs. Thanks