Washington DC Caching

HappyGoLucky

My wife and I will be in DC and will not be renting a vehicle. Where is the best area to go caching on foot for the highest concetration of caches? Somewhere where we can start near one of the MetroRail stations would be nice.... Thanks for your help!

Edited by HappyGoLucky

The National Mall and surrounding area has the most caches by far. Most are virtuals, but there are some traditional caches nearby.

Here is a bookmark list of caches within a mile of DC Metro stations. You can easily spend a day on the Mall seeing the monuments, and most of them have virtuals right there. Be prepared to walk a few miles.

The National Mall and surrounding area has the most caches by far. Most are virtuals, but there are some traditional caches nearby.

Here is a bookmark list of caches within a mile of DC Metro stations. You can easily spend a day on the Mall seeing the monuments, and most of them have virtuals right there. Be prepared to walk a few miles.

That is exactly what I'm looking for, from a local.. :anibad: Thank you mucho!

That is exactly what I'm looking for, from a local.. :D Thank you mucho!

By the way, when I didn't like virtuals till I went to DC. So educational!

Don't miss the WW2 Memorial one.

Wear your most comfortable shoes, the sidewalks are all different surfaces and even for someone who hikes, bikes and runs my body is shot after spending the last 4 days site seeing in DC.

Not really a high concentration here, but the cache "The Silent City" GCQYTG, is a couple of blocks from the Armory/Stadium metro stop. It's a multi-cache, took me less than two hours. Had a really outstanding and educational experience. Bring some Navy related swag, or gold&blue, if you have it.

I'd stopped here, after doing some caches at Arlington Cemetery, which does have several virtuals, which is also very close to a metro stop.

Good luck, VT

By the way, when I didn't like virtuals till I went to DC. So educational!

Don't miss the WW2 Memorial one.

Wear your most comfortable shoes, the sidewalks are all different surfaces and even for someone who hikes, bikes and runs my body is shot after spending the last 4 days site seeing in DC.

Curious. We did ten virtuals about the mall. We found that two were great! Two were interesting. The other six? Well, they did qualify as smileys, and that's the best I can say about them. We DNFed the one closed off by the Secret Service, though that didn't see to stop a lot of other people logging it anyway.

Definitely wear comfortable footwear. Sidewalks are tough on the feet.