need advice on GPS system

keywestjane

This looks like fun and I want to learn. I am looking at the

Magellan Triton 1500 Handheld Navigation System

Can anyone tell me if this is a good system to buy or is there something better.

It's price is steep so I don't want to get it only to regret it and want something else

Help

Edited by keywestjane

If you get the Triton, you will regret it. Tales abound regarding lockups, slow operation, and crashes. Not to mention Magellan's unresponsive and unhelpful customer service. I used to be a fan of Magellan (have owned 3 of their products), but my automotive unit is a Garmin nuvi and my next handheld will be a Delorme or Garmin.

Some suggested alternatives: Garmin GPSmap 60Cx/CSx, 76 Cx/CSx, or eTrex Legend HCx. Also take a look at the DeLorme PN-20, though the PN-40 is coming out fairly soon and you might want to wait for that unit.

I purchased a Triton 500 when they were first "supposed to" appear on the market in 2008. After several backorders, I got the receiver. Up to this point, I had been using a Magellan receiver for almost a decade at work and with geocaching (mainly the eXplorist series). I decided to take the new receiver for its field trials on a friends cache that I had already done once on the past. It took me 10 minutes and five sub-menus just to do a goto. Absolutely ridiculous!!! You will keep hearing folks say that the firmware updates will make the Triton a superior piece of hardware. I don't know about you... but I have places to go and caches to find!!!!

Needless to say, I am now the proud owner of a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx. I was out running waypoints and chasing caches after having the receiver out of the box for ten minutes (with no experience of Garmin software interface).

Never again a Magellan...

HAPPY CACHING!!! :wub::wub::wub:

I have used several Magellen GPS models over the years, Meridian Gold, Sport trak map, sport trak color sport track pro and now the exporist 500, I will never by a triton GPS, they just do not work very well for geocaching. I subsribe to a Yahoo triton group, not one really like them. IMO the trition is a step down in technology from the Explorst 500.

I would recomend an Explorist 500 LE, they can still be found online for less than $150.00