Micro Caches

Abitagirl

You'd think that people would have had enough of easy micros

I look around me and I seeeee it isn't so

Some people wanna fill the wooooooorld with easy micros

And what's wrong with thaaaaaaaaat?

I'd like to knoooooooow?

I'd like to thank sk8guru for pulling up this thread that I effectively killed on 15 November 2008, almost exactly a year ago. Lets see if I can do it again. No one post after this.............

P.S. I know what I'm quoting. That's Silly Love Songs. I hate that song.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

It's a world of laughter

A world of tears

It's a world of hopes

And a world of fears

There's so much that we share

That it's time we're aware

It's a small world after all

There is just one moon

And one golden sun

And a micro means

Friendship to every one

Though the mountains divide

And the oceans are wide

It's a small, small world :D

It's a world of laughter

A world of tears

It's a world of hopes

And a world of fears

There is just one moon

And one golden sun

And a micro means

Friendship to every one

And the oceans are wide

I hate that song too, although the ride at Disney World is pretty cool. OK, I'm serious, no one post after this. I want to kill the thread again.

OK, I'm serious, no one post after this. I want to kill the thread again.
Y'know, you could just, like, stop clicking on the thread if you don't wanna read it any more, dude.
Kind of like, people could stop searching for micro caches if they don't like them?

There are always people that just love to complain. It makes them so happy that they will go out of their way to be unhappy in order to do so.

Y'know, you could just, like, stop clicking on the thread if you don't wanna read it any more, dude.

Why would I do that? I want to see it drift slowly to the bottom of the page, then move to the 2nd page, and then disappear for a year or more, before being bumped. All the while saying "last post by: TheWhiteUrkel" on the right hand side of the page as this happens.

By the way, I love the Carpenters.

Why would I do that? I want to see it drift slowly to the bottom of the page, then move to the 2nd page, and then disappear for a year or more, before being bumped. All the while saying "last post by: TheWhiteUrkel" on the right hand side of the page as this happens.

Never been a fan. But my sister played their stuff constantly for a couple of years while we were growing up.

So, do you really think it will die with last post by TWU on it?

Never been a fan. But my sister played their stuff constantly for a couple of years while we were growing up.

So, do you really think it will die with last post by TWU on it?

No, I surely do not. Apparently my obvious humor is lost with some people. Apparently they have never visited another message board on any other subject on the internet, and are not aware of the term "thread killer". Apparently, they are just attracted to any thread with the word micro in the title like a steel ball held within 3/8 of an inch of a hard drive magnet. :D

It's a world of laughter

A world of tears

It's a world of hopes

And a world of fears

There is just one moon

And one golden sun

And a micro means

Friendship to every one

And the oceans are wide

The last time I took my boys to Disneyland, I could get them to do anything I wanted if I threatened to sing that song if they didn't do it.

There was a lady and her daughter in the seat of the boat behind us that couldn't believe I could actually sing the song. I told her it's been stuck in my head for 30 years and she just laughed because it had been stuck in her head for almost as long.

That song is like mental superglue.

Sounds like a dare to me.

If being a thread killer is your goal, then yes, it sounds like the lockdown you seem to be hoping for is imminent.

And you can't tell I was trying to be funny? No lockdown though, I was saved by Bitten's musings on it's a small world. B) I also apologize to sk8guru, the guy bumped this thread after doing a search, and used it for his first ever forum post. I guess he's just kind of venting, and I don't have anything specific to comment on. But it does look like he is taking control of his choices and not looking for those micro caches that he doesn't enjoy.

There are too few of us who do this. Many complain about "lame" caches, but they sure seem to be running out and finding them all.

And you can't tell I was trying to be funny?

I was going to ask you the same thing. B)

Many complain about "lame" caches, but they sure seem to be running out and finding them all.

That was the reason for my post, the one at the tippy top of this page.

In case you didn’t notice.

Sounds like a dare to me.

If being a thread killer is your goal, then yes, it sounds like the lockdown you seem to be hoping for is imminent.

And you can't tell I was trying to be funny? No lockdown though, I was saved by Bitten's musings on it's a small world. B) I also apologize to sk8guru, the guy bumped this thread after doing a search, and used it for his first ever forum post. I guess he's just kind of venting, and I don't have anything specific to comment on. But it does look like he is taking control of his choices and not looking for those micro caches that he doesn't enjoy.

There are too few of us who do this. Many complain about "lame" caches, but they sure seem to be running out and finding them all.

TWU, thanks. Totally newbie poster mistake. Should have left it alone, with so many "thread killer" notations throughout the trailing end of this topic. Sorry to all. Seems to have caused more angst. Yeah, it was a vent. Yeah, I'm not in a race to plant "the most caches" nor am I ever, ever going to post "43rd of the day".

That's the beauty of the Geocaching . Something for everyone, I suppose. Micro, Mini, Regular, Team, Puzzle.

Larger containers

1) are a little more difficult to conceal

2) are a little more expensive to buy

3) require a little more thought to properly hide

4) are heavier, bulkier, and therefore harder to lug around

5) have room for trade items (which usually cost a little money)

Because of the above, many people choose the cheap/easy alternative - a micro. For those who are willing to make the extra investment of time and money to hide a larger cache, please know that I (and my kids) really appreciate your extra effort.

Ditto to everything. We're in the Phoenix Metropolitan area, and there are many more micros and nanos here than regular or even small. We enjoy trading for the swag, (which can be frustrating, but that's on another thread) so we look for caches to find that are at least a small. They are few and far between. If we find a regular that has been hidden we feel we have hit the jackpot! And I have, to date, not seen a single large.

We have also noticed that many of even the small caches are thrown out there with no real thought to them. They are easy finds, the swag is crummy, and the logs are a couple of cut up pieces of paper that have been stapled together without the Groundspeak intro text.

I think for some people it's just a numbers game.

My only problem with micros are when people place them in the woods. In my city there are a ton of caches. It is almost saturated and about 40% of them are micros. It has become impossible to place anything but a micro now because there just isnt any viable locations left. I have seen entire parks and river valleys so full of micros that a regular has no place to be put. If people want to place and search for micros thats fine with me, I have found a few myself but for Ganesh's sake... keep them away from the wooded areas where a real cache could be placed.

Edited by brslk

"Why are there so many micros"

Over the years, micros were hidden. New players game aboard, found the micros, and said"Ah Ha, you are supposed to place little caches".

More micros were hidden.

More caches found the game, found that many (a higher percentage every year) of the caches were micros, and now believe micros ARE the game.

I live in a very micro-heavy area, where it's not unusual for cachers to hide up to a dozen or more micros in a weekend.

HIJACK:

More and more people are calling what was traditionally a micro (find-a-key, altoids tin, m&m tubes, prescription bottles) "small containers" for the same reason. As more people do it, new players think it's the norm....and I get called a "cache cop" for pointing it out B)

I suppose, as a relatively new cacher (only about 70 finds so far), I would say I thought micros and nanos were the norm. I've found a few large ones (even within city limits) but micros and nanos are fun for me, and some of the camo jobs I've seen are beautifully done. I hate bushwhacking and prefer urban caches.

There seems to be a lot of snobbery in this thread around this topic. I think the hobby has room for everyone's interests, and if you can't stand micros, don't go looking for them.

I'm about to start hiding my own caches. I have some ideas for puzzles and thematic hides, but they probably will all be urban caches and will be micros or nanos. And believe me, a lot of thought is going into them!

BTW: I also don't mind LPC's that much. Sure, they are not so challenging, but I still get satisfaction from finding them.

I'm not fond of micros. But I really, really hate looking at the Google Map and seeing unfound caches within X miles of my house. I'm a little bit OCD that way, I just have to replace those icons with smileys.