Why MICROS are better.

CoyoteRed

Ok, so eliminate about 90% of all geocaches then?

If that's what it takes...

Back when virts were still being listed and after they started requiring "wow" that's exactly what happened. The number of new virts dropped dramatically and the quality went up considerably. Folks really enjoyed the new virts because of the quality. Go figure.

"If that's what it takes" .... ?

Eliminate all micros, you mean?

I know you're not seriously proposing a ban on all micros – the removal of an entire category of very popular caches, taking them away from everybody – just to get rid of some caches that you, personally, might not enjoy ... are you? :rolleyes:

I would second that motion.

He would have missed out on THAT fun. He wouldn't necessarily have missed out on HAVING fun. THAT'S what he didn't prove.

Hmm... He could go play golf. He'd be having fun. You telling him to stop caching?

No. I didn't say that. Where do you think I said that?

Did you read the analogy?

Sure 'nuff. I'm wondering why you choose an analogy where folks are allowed to rate items, have "best sellers," and have better ways of separating the chaff from the wheat. If we did that would be cool. Oh, wait, how folks feel about the stories they read are so subjective that any rating system would be useless. Right?

Sure, good analogy.

The analogy wasn’t about ratings systems. You are obfuscating.

The analogy was, however, about a “better way of separating the chaff from the wheat” as you perfectly described it – for Briansnat anyway, based on his well-known preferences.

The analogy was about NOT mining for entertainment in what is known to be an UNproductive mine. (It was also about being willing to do a little pre-mining research instead of whining about one’s mining.)

Me questioning the validity of one of your odd-sounding statements...

You were questioning the validity of one my musings? You're going to start giving me my opinions, too?

No, I wasn't "giving you an opinion." I was merely asking why, in your "opinion," you publicly suspect other people of dishonesty to themselves.

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. It just seemed too strange a comment not to ask about. I was curious.

I love micros. The biggest problem I see is that people aren't creative with them. Anyone can stick a nano on an old steel railroad bridge making a hard cache, but that's not really creative. I like to see ones that are unique and make you go, "Wow!"

Ok, so eliminate about 90% of all geocaches then? This thread is almost the same as the religious materials in caches thread. Seriously, get over it. If you don't want to go after a cache because it is 'boring" thats your call.

I think your numbers are a bit off. I'd reckon that 90% of cache hides are not nanos on railroad bridges.

If you enjoy looking over a 100' railroad bridge for a thumbnail sized nano somewhere on it, that's great. That's what makes caching so fun. Everyone can search for whatever they enjoy. I'll search for a cache like that but only until I get frustrated. It's still not a creative hide.

Just like when someone drills a nano into a rock and places it in a pile of boulders. Yes, it'll be very difficult to find, but it's not creative. Some people may enjoy moving boulders all day long to find it, but most people will get bored and move on.

After you've found more caches, you'll start to appreciate a well done cache where someone put a lot of time and effort into it versus one where someone just stuck a container somewhere because there wasn't a cache nearby.

Here is an example of an extremely difficult but totally creative cache.

What if it were fun to flip rocks over to find a cache? That in no way takes away from the truly creative caches at all. I enjoy caching, and the thrill of the find even if it is a lamppost skirt. You are saying that your fun is greater than mine. Is that what the game is about? I dont see in the rules anything related to, "It must be creative". This is a game, and different people have different goals. I don't think its fair to take something away from cachers who find micros, and nanos fun to find? You are totally barking up your own tree over there. And don't refer to my lack of cache finding as a flaw. You are flicking your nose at just about everyone who just joined and its totally not in the spirit of this game.

Back when virts were still being listed and after they started requiring "wow" that's exactly what happened. The number of new virts dropped dramatically and the quality went up considerably. Folks really enjoyed the new virts because of the quality. Go figure.

You're not suggesting all caches that aren't entertaining are micros, are you?

No, I didn’t. YOU did.

In response to a comment about micros being bad, izce.nine asked whether anyone was seriously suggesting getting rid of ALL of them.

Your response to his question:

You then went on to describe, via an analogy involving the history of virtuals, why you thought the elimination of micros – or the forcing of some type of creativity filter solely on micros, it was hard to tell which you meant – might help to modify the entire worldwide menu of cache listings so as to make it more pleasing to you.

You have proposed such bans and restrictions so often in the past, you can forgive me if I don’t quickly discount that interpretation when I see it plainly presented again.

If my interpretation was not accurate, then what exactly DID you mean when you said “If that's what it takes?”

I know you're not seriously proposing a ban on all micros – the removal of an entire category of very popular caches, taking them away from everybody – just to get rid of some caches that you, personally, might not enjoy ... are you? :rolleyes:

Really?

You favor a ban on micros?

You think it’s more reasonable to forcibly and permanently withhold micros from everyone, including the people who enjoy them, than to take responsibility for your own filtering?

Are you aware just how easy it is to ignore all micros with a single click of your mouse? Even if you don't give a crap about others' preferences, why would you want to make more work for yourself? Isn't it more work to press for a ban than to click your mouse?

What if it were fun to flip rocks over to find a cache? That in no way takes away from the truly creative caches at all. I enjoy caching, and the thrill of the find even if it is a lamppost skirt. You are saying that your fun is greater than mine. Is that what the game is about? I dont see in the rules anything related to, "It must be creative". This is a game, and different people have different goals. I don't think its fair to take something away from cachers who find micros, and nanos fun to find? You are totally barking up your own tree over there. And don't refer to my lack of cache finding as a flaw. You are flicking your nose at just about everyone who just joined and its totally not in the spirit of this game.

As I said in my previous post, that's what makes caching great. Everyone can find what they enjoy. I'm delighted there's a variety of caches to find. I enjoy finding everything from LPCs to long, hard multis. I find lots of caches that others think are stupid, but I don't worry about it. I find what I want to find and don't really care what other people say.

No guideline say a cache needs to be creative, but it's cool to find something you haven't seen before. Variety is the spice of life.

I didn't say that having a few finds is a flaw. If one hasn't found many caches, it's likely they haven't experienced lots of different hiding styles. There's nothing wrong with that, but as you find more, you're going to find things you've never seen before and be like, "Wow, that was cool."

10 Planks of the Geocaching Manifesto

- Abolition of hides except those solely on land dedicated to public purposes.

- A progressive or graduated fee for caching.

- Abolition of all right of adoption of orphaned caches.

- Termination of membership and confiscation of all hides of cheaters and false loggers.

- Centralization of control of allowable cache types and container sizes.

- Centralization of the means and format for all cache publication.

- Improvement of quality of cache hides in accordance with a common plan.

- Equal liability to all for personal or property damage incurred while geocaching.

- Combination of urban and rural hides; gradual abolition of the distinction between them by a more equable distribution of the hides over the country.

- Free education for all cachers

Okay, okay... I just re-wrote the text for the communist manifesto but you should get my drift... :rolleyes:

Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide. ~Napoleon Bonaparte

As I said in my previous post, that's what makes caching great. Everyone can find what they enjoy. I'm delighted there's a variety of caches to find. I enjoy finding everything from LPCs to long, hard multis. I find lots of caches that others think are stupid, but I don't worry about it. I find what I want to find and don't really care what other people say.

No guideline say a cache needs to be creative, but it's cool to find something you haven't seen before. Variety is the spice of life.

I didn't say that having a few finds is a flaw. If one hasn't found many caches, it's likely they haven't experienced lots of different hiding styles. There's nothing wrong with that, but as you find more, you're going to find things you've never seen before and be like, "Wow, that was cool."

Lets not deviate from what this post was about. I have seen some very "WOW" Caches, and some very bleh caches, and have seen a buttload of differenter hide styles, and the only real DNFs I have are muggled ones. I have been playing for 8 months, and I have come across all kinds of players. I like to think I am somewhere in between numbers and a wow player. For instance there is a cache not 3 miles from my house that I refuse to get because its hidden in a place that is way t oo obvious. I say I am a partial numbers guy mostly because I want something to show for my travels. If there is one kind of player of this game that I dispise it is the ones who think that the fact they have been a member for 7 years more than me, and have logged over 29321 Caches, that makes them somewhat better than the guy starting out. I am just now able to play this game as I have been in the Army and I worked hard, so excuse me for actually contributing to society.

The times I have least enjoyed this game were when people talked down to me while I cached. Its my journey, and for my views on things I cache alone. I think one cache was done with my friend, and about 3-4 done with a group where I didn't want to attempt alone. Play and let play. People are not getting money or reward other than what they see, pictures, and experiences out of this game so why the heck is it a significant emotional event whenever someone "fake logs" or has someone write their name in a log for them? I could give two craps, as long as I am satisfied with what I have done. That being said this business of banning a certain type of cache is just plain stupid. Grow up. Filter out the caches you don't want and move on. Quit trying to make your NUMBERS an exclusive club, because thats what I see this whole argument as. Your finds have a crapload of micros listed, so a call for bans on someone with over 4k finds and a lot of those being micros doesnt hold a whole lot of weight.

Thats my tank of gas.

Really?

You think it’s more reasonable to forcibly and permanently withhold micros from everyone, including the people who enjoy them, than to take responsibility for your own filtering?

Are you aware just how easy it is to ignore all micros with a single click of your mouse? Even if you don't give a crap about others' preferences, why would you want to make more work for yourself? Isn't it more work to press for a ban than to click your mouse?

Actually I would suggest that they be moved to their own site. Things of such exceptional value should be given their home where they could blossom unfettered, a "microtopia" if you will.

Lets not deviate from what this post was about. I have seen some very "WOW" Caches, and some very bleh caches, and have seen a buttload of differenter hide styles, and the only real DNFs I have are muggled ones. I have been playing for 8 months, and I have come across all kinds of players. I like to think I am somewhere in between numbers and a wow player. For instance there is a cache not 3 miles from my house that I refuse to get because its hidden in a place that is way t oo obvious. I say I am a partial numbers guy mostly because I want something to show for my travels. If there is one kind of player of this game that I dispise it is the ones who think that the fact they have been a member for 7 years more than me, and have logged over 29321 Caches, that makes them somewhat better than the guy starting out. I am just now able to play this game as I have been in the Army and I worked hard, so excuse me for actually contributing to society.

The times I have least enjoyed this game were when people talked down to me while I cached. Its my journey, and for my views on things I cache alone. I think one cache was done with my friend, and about 3-4 done with a group where I didn't want to attempt alone. Play and let play. People are not getting money or reward other than what they see, pictures, and experiences out of this game so why the heck is it a significant emotional event whenever someone "fake logs" or has someone write their name in a log for them? I could give two craps, as long as I am satisfied with what I have done. That being said this business of banning a certain type of cache is just plain stupid. Grow up. Filter out the caches you don't want and move on. Quit trying to make your NUMBERS an exclusive club, because thats what I see this whole argument as. Your finds have a crapload of micros listed, so a call for bans on someone with over 4k finds and a lot of those being micros doesnt hold a whole lot of weight.

Thats my tank of gas.

I know you're not seriously proposing a ban on all micros – the removal of an entire category of very popular caches, taking them away from everybody – just to get rid of some caches that you, personally, might not enjoy ... are you? :)

Really?

Actually I would suggest that they be moved to their own site. Things of such exceptional value should be given their home where they could blossom unfettered, a "microtopia" if you will.

Microcaching.com and microcaching.net are still available!! Link :rolleyes:

Really?

Nice troll.

I know you're not seriously proposing a ban on all micros – the removal of an entire category of very popular caches, taking them away from everybody – just to get rid of some caches that you, personally, might not enjoy ... are you? :)

Really?

Microcaching.com and microcaching.net are still available!! Link :rolleyes:

jokerclapping.gif

Really?

Nice troll.

I'm serious.

Really?

Nice troll.

I'm serious.

Don't doubt it. Considering how much you have contributed to this conversation by fanning the flames in this discussion with your short two word sentences. You rock. Let people play the game. You dont have to go find them. Just like I don't have to go to events, nor join an organization in the geocaching community

I like to think I am somewhere in between numbers and a wow player. For instance there is a cache not 3 miles from my house that I refuse to get because its hidden in a place that is way t oo obvious. I say I am a partial numbers guy mostly because I want something to show for my travels.

I fall somewhere in between too. Sometimes I want to do some longer hikes and other times not have to walk more than 20 feet to find one. Like you, especially with high gas prices, I don't feel that I've had a successful day unless I've found at least a few.

That being said this business of banning a certain type of cache is just plain stupid.

Agree totally. Find what you like. Play your own game. Variety is the spice of life.

Your finds have a crapload of micros listed, so a call for bans on someone with over 4k finds and a lot of those being micros doesnt hold a whole lot of weight.

If you're referring to me, you're right. I do find a lot of micros. Over 50% of my finds are micros. I never said there should be a ban micros. That was someone else. In fact, in my first post in this thead, my very first sentence was "I love micros."

I'm out of gas too. BTW, thanks for serving our country!

Edit to remove empty quote and fix a typo.

Edited by Skippermark
I like to think I am somewhere in between numbers and a wow player. For instance there is a cache not 3 miles from my house that I refuse to get because its hidden in a place that is way t oo obvious. I say I am a partial numbers guy mostly because I want something to show for my travels.

I fall somewhere in between too. Sometimes I want to do some longer hikes and other times not have to walk more than 20 feet to find one. Like you, especially with high gas prices, I don't feel that I've had a successful day unless I've found at least a few.

That being said this business of banning a certain type of cache is just plain stupid.

Agree totally. Find what you like. Play your own game. Variety is the spice of life.

Your finds have a crapload of micros listed, so a call for bans on someone with over 4k finds and a lot of those being micros doesnt hold a whole lot of weight.

If you referring to me, you're right. I do find a lot of micros. Over 50% of my finds are micros. I never said there should be a ban micros. That was someone else. In fact, in my first post in this thead, my very first sentence was "I love micros."

I'm out of gas too. BTW, thanks for serving our country!

My bad. Some forum posts just blind me with rage, and I kind of gloss over the more neutral comments. I apologize. Just glad someone sees it the same as me.

This topic has even reared it's ugly head in the local community forums and the last post summed it up nicely....

You say In your opinion, well in My opinion if you can't find anything but ammo cans in the woods then I sugest you vere off of the Osceola Forest. :):):rolleyes:

To each his/her own and if you need to reach GZ, shut your eyes and flail around your hiking stick a few seconds until you hear that hollow THUNK of an ammo can to have fun then by all means, filter out the micros. The rest of us will enjoy the whole game.

And at last check overtcaching.com was available, too :)

Just like I don't have to go to events, nor join an organization in the geocaching community

Now that's rebellion.

258Troll_spray.jpg

Who said I was rebelling?

fartinwetsuit.jpg

mmrrmmmph.

Hey man, if you don't like what I have to say, Tell me or butt out. You just have nothing further to say on this subject, and are resulting to insults.

Just like I don't have to go to events, nor join an organization in the geocaching community

Now that's rebellion.

258Troll_spray.jpg

fartinwetsuit.jpg

mmrrmmmph.

Hey man, if you don't like what I have to say, Tell me or butt out. You just have nothing further to say on this subject, and are resulting to insults.

Who called whom a troll? I would suggest you heed your own advice.

Now that's rebellion.

258Troll_spray.jpg

fartinwetsuit.jpg

mmrrmmmph.

Who called whom a troll? I would suggest you heed your own advice.

When Did I troll? Seriously I would like to know. Besides if you have a problem with me the forums are not the place. You are the one that took my post and mocked me, so I will reverse the question once again, but you need not answer here because I don't care. I said my peice on this thread "If you don't like micros, dont hunt them", and listed some examples. You apparently took something personal and decided to make a personal attack on me in a public forum, instead of insulting me via email. Thanks for adding so much to the conversation (yes sarcasm), and please try your post again.