Linking to word document in a multi

ECM2

Question:

I created a new multi cache in a WORD doc.

It contains tables, layout and a picture. I am not very good at HTML and am afraid that the layout of my waypoints and text description gets lost, or at least it would not print the way I like it.

Is it allowed and possible in a Multi cache description to include a link to a word document (placed on the internet) so people can download the description and print it in the format I like??

Ofcourse the cache page itself will hold the starting coordinates and a general description like route / length etc.

???????????

i don't use word. i don't like it.

wouldn't work for me.

outside of that, i don't think your cache material can be housed on an external link.

it's not all that hard to use enough html to make a suitable cache page, and please take into account that many of us will be reading the page on editions rendered by our GPSrs and PDAs and will therefore miss the subtleties and will be annoyed by too many tags.

it's not all that hard to enter child waypoints on the cache page, and that's a format that's truly useful to us finders, because we can download them right into our GPSrs and that, i think, far outweighs any cosmetic alignments of the data.

if your criteria are all about how a page looks when you print it, remember that many of us will never print the page at all. many of us won't even see the page on the site. for me and my friends, we run everything into GSAK and read descriptions on the fly.

This particular cache is a motorcycle route- cache. So printing it is necessary in almost any case (tankbag print)

To give you a clue what I am talking about, here is the document (in Dutch but you get the idea)

-- link now deleted, served it's purpose--

Edited by ECM2

its not allowed

When submitting a cache you "sign" that you have read the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines and agree to them.

on that page it says :

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.

plus you HAVE to provide the coordinates of all the waypoints in the waypoint list, you can hide the actual coords from the public, but the reviewer must see them (same as the coords of the final)

on that same page you have read and agree to when submitting a cache:

Multi-Caches

There are many variations to multi-stage caches. The most common is that in which the first container or waypoint contains or provides coordinates to the next location. Another popular variant is a series of multiple waypoints, each of which provide partial coordinates for the final cache’s position. Please provide the coordinates of all stages of the multicache. The posted coordinates are for the first stage. Use the "Additional Waypoints" feature when submitting the multi-cache coordinates for the other stages. If you don't want the coordinates for the rest of the stages displayed, be sure to mark them as "hidden". Doing this will hide the coordinates from view by anyone except the owner and website volunteers.

for each Wp the reviewer has to check wether or not the "saturation zone" rule needs to be applied.

i hope this helps.

best read those guidelines you sign before submitting, dont want to annoy your reviewer.

been there, done that : in my first multi -despite the big yellow postit on my screen- i forgot to add the real coords of the final to the WP list

Edited by Guinness70

its not allowed

When submitting a cache you "sign" that you have read the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines and agree to them.

on that page it says :

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.

That clearly implies that caches that link to outside documents can be published, just that you should expect it to not be published.

There is nothing to agree to there. The site is stating it's intent.

I'm going on my 3rd year putting one together that will require exactly that. Outside documents. This site may choose to list it or not as they see fit. I'm not abandoning work started before the guideline existed though.

I think Word can save a document in HTML format, no/yes? However, as others have said, it still may not display as intended depending on what intruments are used.

... and I would warn anyone against trying to use that in a cache page. The code word creates is soooo messy and uses so much useless code, half of it would probably get stripped out by Groundspeak.

DCC

So many rules .... :-(

I sure takes out all the fun of it.

And since the Groundspeak site does not offer a simple wysiwyg html function like in many other websites, making a cache page is pretty complicated business.

I have spend hours making a perfect cache / motor ride, but making it "official" now holds me off... :-/

You started off using the wrong tool. Download Nvu, and use it to create your page. You should be able to simply copy everything between the <body></body> tags directly into the cache page (after checking the "use HTML" box).

Remember that any images have to be located on the web, not on your hard drive.

Edited by Prime Suspect

So many rules .... :-(

I sure takes out all the fun of it.

And since the Groundspeak site does not offer a simple wysiwyg html function like in many other websites, making a cache page is pretty complicated business.

I have spend hours making a perfect cache / motor ride, but making it "official" now holds me off... :-/

Actually making a cache page is very simple. I've done hundreds. It's when you try to get overly fancy that you run into trouble. A lot of people don't care for the HTMLed up pages because they don't render well, or at all with apps like Cachmate.

@ Above:

THis particular cache needs to be printed in a form that it fits most tankbags (A5 is a good size). So I needed a format could be limited in with.

At this time I am almost done!!! YEAH!!!

One question remains:

All clues give one to three digits of the coordinates that are missing. But to make things even more simple (in case people get lost) I want to include the full coordinates in small print as well.

In the paper version I just printed it vertically. Works fine. For the web version I need to encrypt these waypoints (I guess) .

I have seen some encryption code in HTML I think. Can you tell what it is??

personnally im quiet happy with the "no downloads for file security reason" rule.

you'll end up downloading gigabytes of powerpointshows, documents, movies with all kind of imagery appropriate or not, virusfree or not.

files as "fun to know" information, extra pictures or wild life movie, FINE, but not if its required to find the cache.

-//- I want to include the full coordinates in small print as well.

In the paper version I just printed it vertically. Works fine. For the web version I need to encrypt these waypoints (I guess)

you are including the actual coordinates? then how bout making it a powertrail of trads with a bonus final, save yourself a lot of hassle, with minimal HTML and riders can prepare the trail and enjoy the ride rather then walking around in full gear looking for tags or pictures or doing math;

try crouching in full leathers and hardboots.

cant see myself caching on the bike with full safety gear on (not tshirt, jeans and sandals) : hot :blink: , cumbersome :) and conspicuous.

does it require to walk out of sight of the bike? which would imply taking off GPS, tankbag, putting on chain every so often.

but since you're nearly done. ild say go ahead and see how it goes, its going on my watchlist.

best get one or two people to seperately testrun this without any preparation or help from you just to make sure the printouts work for everyone.

good luck :D

Edited by Guinness70

Hi Guinness

In this particular cache, the cache itself is a bonus, not the goal. I prepared 16 points along a route that with GPS set to "shortest distance" creates a nice biking route. It does not require to go off the bike, and all via points clues are very easy to find.

Set up is like this:

"What's the number of the postbox you are seeing = xx (2 digits)

"Fill in this number on the following positions"

N 5.12.345 E004.12. * * 5

So the most parts of the coords are visible, only the missing one or to has to be found on the spot.

Works perfectly. I let 3 people trace the route to exclude errors by now, so the set up is tested. All via points are on normal open roads, with parking or stopping space.

It's really a fun way to ride a bike! And no one knows the route in advance, so it still has the surprise element like a cache hunt. And at the end there is the cache (now waiting for the reviewers to clear) :-)

excellent ! hope it clears quickly.

my TomTomRider1 calculates different "shortest" (and also fastest) then my friends Garmin Zumo ... which has lead to problems on several occassions -.-

best was at a crossing in France ... me blinking left, him blinking right and the two other riders ... honking LOL

but offcourse the final coordinates are always the same so its not really an issue here. all roads lead to Rome ;-)