What KIND of cacher am I? What kind are YOU?

Snoogans

What this thread will demonstrate is that everybody is different. That's why the sport needs a variety of options from PNG micros to super multi puzzle caches like This one

i am a picky cacher. my stats are low due to things like shoulder surgeries, car crashes with major injuries etc.

i know i am going to get slammed by this, but when did game participants get to set the rules for the game? geocaching had three sizes when it started.

dem was da rules/guidelines.

but when the gamers set their own guidelines because "everybody plays the game their own way" and we must be tolerant of others game, geocaching has become almost unwieldy. making the small category smaller and smaller to the nanos we have now, to me is simply bogus. there are some neat areas to hide regular caches in the mojave desert. but because there is some lame micro or nano nearby, the regular caches can't be placed.

let's say you are playing in a texas hold'em tournament. just because there are lot of people in the room, playing poker, they don't get to decide how the game is played.

somewhere along the line, the desire for more and more caches has led to a read degradation of the sport. i have looked for micros when power-caching with a friend. not too much fun finding the little tiny ones. and in the beginning, when a skirt-lifter was unique, those were kind of cool. but i will not hunt micros, nanos or nit size.

sorry, the one exception to micro sizes is if they are part of a larger puzzle or cache themed .

i live near a fabulous area of rock canyons and formations and there are so many caches there. many of them small. just because there is room, does not mean the area has to be saturated with caches. why on earth do i need to climb up a pile of rocks for a altoids tin with nothing in it but a log - and i have to bring my own pencil.

micros and nanos are not geocaches. look up the word cache and see if a micro fits into that definition: >>1. a hiding place, esp. one in the ground, for ammunition, food, treasures, etc.:<<

why do we have to have micro urban caches? because people don't want to go too far away from home to cache? i don't see the point. is it all because people want to play the game their way and the original guidelines are meaningless?

the first guy hid a can of beans? the geocaches came along with real swag and swag was cool. then we started getting posts about junk left in caches. again, somewhere along the line people playing the game decided a discarded shotgun shell was acceptable swag. junk was their game and that is the way they were going to play it.

forget the whole concept of trade even, trade up and don't trade.

it seems small caches are now called regular size and there on down. i remember a cache that posted just before sundown and it was only about 20 miles away. i was pretty excited cause the description said "small" so i am thinking tupperware bowl size. and i could leave something nice and pick up a ftf which can be fun.

imagine my disappointment when it was a magnetic key holder on the back of a road sign. i do write cache owners asking them to reconsider the size they have posted.

i realize i am fighting a losing battle, but i have been in the game since early 2002 and it is just going down hill. i wonder how many of those hundreds of thousands of geocaches show any planning or thought to the cache.

so the long answer to a short question is back at the top of this post, i am picky cacher. and there are very few caches around here to hunt for that are not tiny or tinier.

the sport needs to go back to the way it was. maybe the quality of the caches would go back up to what a cache really means. if people don't want to play it that way, then find another sport - call in tiny tin hunting.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

What this thread will demonstrate is that everybody is different. That's why the sport needs a variety of options from PNG micros to super multi puzzle caches like This one

i am a picky cacher. my stats are low due to things like shoulder surgeries, car crashes with major injuries etc.

i know i am going to get slammed by this, but when did game participants get to set the rules for the game? geocaching had three sizes when it started.

but when the gamers set their own guidelines because "everybody plays the game their own way" and we must be tolerant of others game, geocaching has become almost unwieldy. making the small category smaller and smaller to the nanos we have now, to me is simply bogus. there are some neat areas to hide regular caches in the mojave desert. but because there is some lame micro or nano nearby, the regular caches can't be placed.

let's say you are playing in a texas hold'em tournament. just because there are lot of people in the room, playing poker, they don't get to decide how the game is played.

somewhere along the line, the desire for more and more caches has led to a read degradation of the sport. i have looked for micros when power-caching with a friend. not too much fun finding the little tiny ones. and in the beginning, when a skirt-lifter was unique, those were kind of cool. but i will not hunt micros, nanos or nit size.

sorry, the one exception to micro sizes is if they are part of a larger puzzle or cache themed .

i live near a fabulous area of rock canyons and formations and there are so many caches there. many of them small. just because there is room, does not mean the area has to be saturated with caches. why on earth do i need to climb up a pile of rocks for a altoids tin with nothing in it but a log - and i have to bring my own pencil.

why do we have to have micro urban caches? because people don't want to go too far away from home to cache? i don't see the point. is it all because people want to play the game their way and the original guidelines are meaningless?

the first guy hid a can of beans? the geocaches came along with real swag and swag was cool. then we started getting posts about junk left in caches. again, somewhere along the line people playing the game decided a discarded shotgun shell was acceptable swag. junk was their game and that is the way they were going to play it.

forget the whole concept of trade even, trade up and don't trade.

it seems small caches are now called regular size and there on down. i remember a cache that posted just before sundown and it was only about 20 miles away. i was pretty excited cause the description said "small" so i am thinking tupperware bowl size. and i could leave something nice and pick up a ftf which can be fun.

imagine my disappointment when it was a magnetic key holder on the back of a road sign. i do write cache owners asking them to reconsider the size they have posted.

i realize i am fighting a losing battle, but i have been in the game since early 2002 and it is just going down hill. i wonder how many of those hundreds of thousands of geocaches show any planning or thought to the cache.

so the long answer to a short question is back at the top of this post, i am picky cacher. and there are very few caches around here to hunt for that are not tiny or tinier.

the sport needs to go back to the way it was. maybe the quality of the caches would go back up. if people don't want to play it that way, then find another sport - call in tiny tin hunting.

rsg

Change is the one true constant in the world.

My first event, everyone was calling me a "newbie" since I had not even found 100 caches. I have passed that, so :);)B)

The only people I would consider inactive are the ones who have not been online or caching in over six months (unless they have a reason not to be).

Casual cahers may not get the big numbers of other cachers, but they like to go for quality, not quantity. My wife and I are in the OCD category where we are trying to get an ever expanding circle of caches around our gz. You can imagine our frustration when we run into a disabled cache that messes up our pretty bubble. Now you know why we love to go out and try and fix caches that others just wish would be archived. :laughing:

Actually, we don't set the guidelines. Groundspeak sets them; for caches listed on their website.

They may choose to take input from their customers, but it's ultimately their sandbox.

There are a lot of different house rules for Texas hold'em. When you are playing a Texas hold'em tournament, you play by the rules of the house. Same goes here.

There are some neat areas to hide regular caches in the mojave desert. but because there is some lame micro or nano nearby, the regular caches can't be placed.

Last I checked, the Mojave was a pretty big place.

I'm betting you could find another kewl spot that's not taken by a micro. B)

Just sayin'... ;)

Back on topic: Like RedShoes, I'm pretty darn picky. I learned a long time ago what kind of caches I like, and what kind I don't. I use the tools available to me to increase my odds of finding those I do like.

Aw. Now you've gone and hurt my feelings! I hide caches to show you places that I think are special, and beautiful. Sometimes, only a micro can be hidden there. But the view will be well worth the visit!

Is this view worth hunting a nano cache for? Only thing to hide there. Most people think it's worth it! If you don't think so, come admire the view, and ignore the micro.

2474c254-4fa6-4aa9-a46c-273691b3417b.jpg

There are some neat areas to hide regular caches in the mojave desert. but because there is some lame micro or nano nearby, the regular caches can't be placed.

Last I checked, the Mojave was a pretty big place.

I'm betting you could find another kewl spot that's not taken by a micro. B)

Just sayin'... ;)

for sure! but a good part of the mojave is 1) wilderness 2) NPS land, 3) military bases, 4) REALLY HOT, 5) takes 4x to get around and without being prepared for getting stuck (done it twice) can be dangerous and 6) inaccessible mountain tops (to most folks) and did i mention the heat?

how about a quality cache a bit off the interstate, well hidden, cleverly designed instead of another lame micro stuck on an exit sign? or worse a nano at the top of a rocky hill.

Back on topic: Like RedShoes, I'm pretty darn picky. I learned a long time ago what kind of caches I like, and what kind I don't. I use the tools available to me to increase my odds of finding those I do like.

i would love a feature that allows me to filter out micros and nanos from my search parameters. now that would be cool. oops, different topic.

i would love a feature that allows me to filter out micros and nanos from my search parameters. now that would be cool.

Just use your PQs. You can select the size caches you want to search for.

i believe that means i have to pay money in order to have PQ$. we don't do that any more.

Honest mistake since you still show up as a premium member in the forums.

But honestly, that is one of the nice benefits of premium membership. The ability does exist. If the micros and nanos begin bothering you enough, you might want to consider renewing.

i would love a feature that allows me to filter out micros and nanos from my search parameters. now that would be cool.

i believe that means i have to pay money in order to have PQ$. we don't do that any more.

But honestly, that is one of the nice benefits of premium membership. The ability does exist. If the micros and nanos begin bothering you enough, you might want to consider renewing.

Yeah, I didn't search your profile. You show as a PM here on the forums. If you start getting more active again it is well worth the $30 a year. I do understand the slowdown and tight money. If I had to renew right now it wouldn't happen.

How about a quality cache a bit off the interstate, well hidden, cleverly designed instead of another lame micro stuck on an exit sign?

Girl, I feel your pain! B)

But the folks who place those P&Gs beat you to the spot fair and square.

All you can do is find another spot, or gnash your teeth in frustration.

(or both?...) :laughing:

Or move 528 feet. ;)

How about a quality cache a bit off the interstate, well hidden, cleverly designed instead of another lame micro stuck on an exit sign?

(or both?...) :laughing:

Or move 528 feet. ;)

Wouldn't that count as finding another spot?

(or both?...) :)

Or move 528 feet. ;)

Yeah, but I wanted to add the laughing smiley. :laughing:

Girl, I feel your pain! :grin:

(or both?...) :D

Or move 528 feet. ;)

Yeah, but I wanted to add the laughing smiley. :grin:

Oh. Well then. Have a few more. B):laughing::):blink::huh::grin: I get 'em free with my premium membership.

Or move 528 feet. ;)

Yeah, but I wanted to add the laughing smiley. :grin:

Oh. Well then. Have a few more. B):laughing::):blink::huh::grin: I get 'em free with my premium membership.

I gotta talk to the Frog. I just got one of those and a box full of :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:P:P

I am a casual cacher.

I am not a fanatic about geocaching.

It does not rule my life.

I have it under control.

I enjoy finding caches.

I don't enjoy not finding them when I look.

I like hiding caches and try to give a lot of thought to each hide.

I don't hide a cache for the sake of hiding one.

I do like to get FTFs

I don't obsess about FTFs

I have cached at every conceivable time of day

I will not skip sleeping to go caching.

I m a casual cacher.

Yeah, I didn't search your profile. You show as a PM here on the forums. If you start getting more active again it is well worth the $30 a year. I do understand the slowdown and tight money. If I had to renew right now it wouldn't happen.

my lack of premium membership is more philosophical than monetary. but that is a story that doesn't belong here. and i have no idea why my "plain" member doesn't show up on the forums.

rsg

Or move 528 feet. ;)

Yeah, but I wanted to add the laughing smiley. :D

I gotta talk to the Frog. I just got one of those and a box full of :D:D:D:D:D:D:P:P:P

Oh... oops. Sorry. I didn't know I had wandered over to the OT forum. :grin:

Or move 528 feet. ;)

Yeah, but I wanted to add the laughing smiley. :D

I gotta talk to the Frog. I just got one of those and a box full of :D:D:D:D:D:D:P:P:P

Oh... oops. Sorry. I didn't know I had wandered over to the OT forum. :grin:

It's a side effect of the Snoogans Bump.