Oneonta, NY event

softball29

It's the Oneonta Tigers. Granderson was one of ours. The Yankees got moved down to New York City.- Staten Island I think. The (Tigers)farm team was recently sold. They say they'll be here for two more years, then who knows.

Edited by Luckless

Do the Oneonta Yankees still exist?

The Yankees left after the 1998 season and moved to Staten Island. Detroit has a contract with Oneonta through 2010. The new owners (as long as they are approved) say they want to make it work, so hopefully they can. The park has been changed a bit over the past couple of years, which is nice.

Sat at Cooperstown for the Hall game, Sunday home 6 p.m.

Any chance you are thinking of wandering up to the event, Brian?

The Yankees left after the 1998 season and moved to Staten Island. Detroit has a contract with Oneonta through 2010. The new owners (as long as they are approved) say they want to make it work, so hopefully they can. The park has been changed a bit over the past couple of years, which is nice.

I have heard rumors that they may stop the Hall of Fame game in the future, is this true? (Much like most teams have eliminated Old-Timers Day except for the Yankees). If so what a shame.

Won't be able to make the event but will definitely have to see the Hall one of these days.....(if not the Hall game if it still exists :lol: )

While it's interesting to have minor league teams in the NY area, you guys were kind of rooked with that move to Staten Island.....it and the Brooklyn Cyclones for the Mets was part of the deal with then Mayor Guiliani that has also led to new stadiums for both NY teams....I think we have a lot more things in society that we need the $millions for than knocking down/rebuilding stadiums that aren't really that old in my view (and to me replacing even the somewhat "modern" Yankee Stadium is like replacing Wrigley or Fenway.

OK enough off-topic, move on :o

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I have heard rumors that they may stop the Hall of Fame game in the future, is this true? (Much like most teams have eliminated Old-Timers Day except for the Yankees). If so what a shame.

Won't be able to make the event but will definitely have to see the Hall one of these days.....(if not the Hall game if it still exists :lol: )

While it's interesting to have minor league teams in the NY area, you guys were kind of rooked with that move to Staten Island.....it and the Brooklyn Cyclones for the Mets was part of the deal with then Mayor Guiliani that has also led to new stadiums for both NY teams....I think we have a lot more things in society that we need the $millions for than knocking down/rebuilding stadiums that aren't really that old in my view (and to me replacing even the somewhat "modern" Yankee Stadium is like replacing Wrigley or Fenway.

OK enough off-topic, move on :o

The final Hall of Fame Game was "played" this year. I use quotes because it got rained out. There is a grassroots effort to save it (and there were meeting this weekend in Cooperstown), but even if MLB would agree to it, I don't see the players association agreeing to bring it back.

And yes, the area was rooked by the Yankees, unfortunately. But, the Tigers have been good. Granderson was here. And a bunch from the 2005 O-Tigers team are now in the majors and doing very well. So it's nice to see them roll through. With the Yankees, they probably wouldn't anymore as we all know minor leaguers just get traded by them now!

And if you are a baseball person -- get to the Hall. It's an amazing place.